do you make bridesmaids pay for their own dresses?

im not getting married im just curious

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

That is the standard and traditionally the bridal party also pays for shoes, the hair stylist and makeup artist, any accessories the bride demands and the hen party (which can be extravagant depending on the bride in question). This is why one needs to consider carefully before agreeing to be in someone else's wedding. It can end up costing a small fortune. 

• 1 month ago

In my area of the USA, we do not "make" our bridal attendants do anything. When a bridal attendant request is accepted it is understood that the attendant pays for their attire.

The problematic situations that are an issue is when the bridal party is expected to meet many of the brides financial expectations, such as professional services such as hair, nails, make-up new shoes, over the top bridal shower and destination Bachelorette party expenses and such.

This is why all bridal attendant invitations should always include a conversation about financial expectations...before the position is accepted.

• 1 month ago

I hired my bridesmaids dresses.  

• 1 month ago

In the US it is traditional for the bride to select the dress and the bridesmaid to pay for it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Trish
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

In the united States bridesmaids normally pay.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

i had to -_- went thru hell to even get it, to be honest... AND to alter it... just a terrible time. 

• 1 month ago

Make? Hmm.

In the U.S., it is pretty standard that the bridesmaids pay for their own dresses. However, some brides choose to pay for the dresses.  Because the bridesmaid is usually asked to cover the cost, it is really important that the bride have a cost limit in mind and to find out if the person they are asking to be in the bridal party can afford that amount.  

In the UK, the bride pays. 

• Kelly
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It really depends on where you live.

In the U.S. & Canada it's common for each member of the bridal party to pay for their own attire which includes MOH/Bridesmaids, Best Man/Groomsmen/Ushers, etc.  For kid in the wedding, their parents are responsible.

In other parts of the world such as the United Kingdom, the couple getting married pays these expenses.

Myself I'm in the U.S. and when we got married we paid for everyone's attire as we considered it a wedding expense.  This is the exception, not the rule.  Many people due to the high costs of wedding cannot afford to.

Anyone getting married really should express the expectations on whether or not your bridal party will pay these expenses as it can save a lot of hassle.

Also in the U.S., it's common for the bridesmaids to also host a bridal shower and/or bachelorette party for the bride.  This is in addition to any attire expenses so there are more costs than a dress if you're a bridesmaid.

• drip
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

In the USA it is the norm.  Bridesmaids and groomsmen know they will be expected to pay for their attire

• 1 month ago

Depends on the culture - in the US, bridesmaids are expected to buy their own dresses, in the UK the bride pays for them.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.