What's the best printer for college Students?

Trying to buy a good printer that is affordable

wireless and scanner. I'm a college student and need an affordable printer to print mainly black and white pages. Also need a printer where the ink doesn't run out after printing 10 pages and the ink not to cost me an arm and a leg. Thanks

• ron h

I'd look at a Brother B/W, all in one if you can afford it. With a flatbed scanner for copying pages of books and such.  Laser "toner" NEVER drys out / clogs like inkjets do.  I'd really try to get a wireless, but if you're in a dorm, with a router that you don't own, you might do just as well with a USB connection.

Its Epson SW235X

Get a black and white laser printer - I've got a Dell that cost about $100 and still works perfectly after several years.

The toner cartridge that came with it made hundreds and hundreds of prints before needing to be replaced, and the replacement (which was reasonable) still hasn't run out.

• F

I have a Epson SW235X . It’s a printer scanner and copier all in one. It is great for everything except photos.It cost about £35.

One problem a full set of genuine Epson ink costs more than the printer. However compatible inks are available on eBay, £10 worth lasts me about 18 months.

- HP Envy Wireless All-in-One Photo Printer.

- Epson WorkForce All-in-One Supertank Printer.

- Canon Color All-in-One Duplex Laser Printer.

- Brother Compact Monochrome Laser Printer.

• keerok

Epson all-in-one printers that come with a built-in scanner than have their own ink tanks. These come with cheap reloadable ink that come in bottles. They're cheap because you don't have to pay for a new print head each time you buy ink. There are several models. Choose according to your budget. The 4-color ones are the cheapest. Wireless? I think Epson has that too but be willing to pay much more.

The problem with inkjets is that more ink is wasted cleaning the printheads than actually used printing.

I used to use mine maybe a couple of times a month to print just a few pages, and the ink was always dry and printheads clogged and after a couple of cleaning cycles, the ink would go way down.

This problem was resolved by switching to a 3rd party ink supply, specifically LD Ink.  Not only was it much cheaper, but the ink doesn't dry up and clog the printheads.

So I have 2 suggestions for you.

1.  Before buying a printer, make sure LD makes ink carts for it.

2.  Switch to the subscription model of inkjet printer. HP has one called Instant Ink.  They send you cartridges whenever you need them, and they charge you something like $3 a month to print 10 pages, but ink wasted on cleaning cycles doesn't count against you.

• David

You would probably be best to go for an HP printer/scanner and subscribe to HP instant ink. You pick a plan based on the number of pages you print a month and get ink delivered automatically

https://instantink.hpconnected.com/

• Scott

This one looks like it will meet your needs.

https://www.amazon.com/Pantum-M7102DW-Monochrome-M...

laser printers are far cheaper on supplies than ink jets, but only print black on white.  We've had good results with lesser brand names, which cost less.  Both Brother and Samsung have worked well for us over the years.