If I wrap a cold device with a battery inside in several blankets inside the shed, will the battery be protected from the cold in winter?

I cannot take the battery out and can't take the device in the house.

But I wondered if I wrap several thick bankets around it, can I keep so the battery alive  during winter?    

• Phil M

Not without some sort of heat source. Without knowing what type of battery is in the device I can't advise you further. If the device has an automotive battery then follow the advice from other posters.

A battery when fully charged is a mixture of water and acid.  It don't freeze that easily.  It ain't water.  A battery that is discharged or is Low DOES CHANGE THE FLUID TO WATER. That freezes as it has no electricity in it anymore.  Usually a 5 or 7 year battery is running out of lead or acid so you GOT TO BUY NEW ANYWAYS.  Cost $100 for a 5 year battery.  It is a cost you got to expect and usually happens as the leaves change color(AKA the worst time)  Gonna have to give up drinking coffee or beer for a couple weeks. Mine stays in my car all winter every winter and it is NOT PROTECTED.

. So forget the blanket and invest in a new battery. Wally's is about your best value.

No. It fuses.      

NO.............

They self discharge, no matter. In fact. they S/D faster in heat. If battery has proper electrolyte, it wont freeze at 32 F.  Put a little 12volt wall  cube on it; $2 at Goodwill. If no juice in shed, buy  some solar lights a Dollar store, wire a few in series until 14 volts open-circuit and put them across it.

EDIT: Insulation Is Insulation. Refers aren't "warm-blooded" but the foam keeps things cold between compressor cycles. Or, comp would run All the time. Same with Heat. The fiberglas insulation in a stove keeps temp constant. 

Put a battery tender 2 amp charger on the battery.

You need to store it inside a hibernating bear's belly in the den. Then it'll be safe for sure.

Buy a trickle charger,  keep the battery in the car and put the trickle charger on it when you park the car.  

That won't work.  Do you have a space heater to use in the shed.

• CB

No, blankets only work if the device has some way of generating a bit of heat. It would slow (only slightly) the speed at which the battery became to cold but once cold it would also take longer to reheat to ambient temperatures. Basically all you would be doing is slowing thermal transfer not preventing it.