If my employment ended after furlough but told them I wasn’t going to come back, what would that be considered in terms of reasons left?

To make this clear I was put on furlough for a certain amount of time but called the company to let them know I was not gonna come back since I decided to move on and look for another job. Then I get a letter in the mail saying that my employment ended a week after I called them about me not coming back. Would that be considered a resignation, lay off or termination?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

We call it "job abandonment" and keep records so that you can never be hired again, even by a different location.

• 4 weeks ago

I also let my employer know I wasn’t coming back and that but to them my leaving date was the week before. I think it really depends on the employer. To me, I left first. 

• Jane
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

You resigned when you called them to say you weren't returning to work. They did not terminate you, nor were you laid off. 

In your position , I would have remained on furlough getting a percentage of your wage, and in the meantime looking for a new job- rather than resigning without anything else to go to.

Good luck in getting a new job, it's tough atm but you can move on x

• 4 weeks ago

As you notified them that you would not be returning, it is a resignation.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

You resigned. It doesn't matter if you were furloughed first or not. You are the one who ended your employment. Simple as that. 

Source(s): Worked in HR for 31 years.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

You quit.    Plain and simple.

ETA:   DEBS is wrong.    Furlough is not the same thing as lay off at all.    Furloughed employees are still receiving benefits such as medical insurance.  They are still employed.

Once you inform your employer that you do not intend to return, there is no reason for them to continue your benefits.  You've quit.

• You decided to quit, that ended your employment. You weren't terminated, they most likely would have told you that you were fired / terminated. 

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

It would be considered a resignation

• 4 weeks ago

That would be considered a resignation.

• Scott
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Resignation. You voluntarily quit.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.