Anonymous

Does the Mayo Clinic Still Practice Only OB/GYN and Pediatrics?

In 2000, my mother and I moved to Scottsdale, Arizona.  One of the reasons was that she had health needs, and the Mayo Clinic was here, so maybe she could receive treatment there.  I called to schedule an appointment.  I was told that people were not allowed to make appointments directly with the clinic, but that, instead, it would be necessary to schedule an appointment through one of their satellite offices.  They gave me a name and number, and I called.  The person answering the phone said they only handled pediatrics and OB/GYN, that their doctors "did not need" any older patients.  Well, neither I (an adult male) nor my mother (age 78 at the time) would be able to provide them with any ability to practice pediatrics or OB/GYN.  I made other arrangements for her care, and we were fine.

Shortly thereafter, I saw Senator John McCain (R-Ariz.) on the television news, coming out of the Mayo Clinic, after having getting something or another flicked off the end of his nose.  I thought, oh, now they do OB/GYN, pediatrics, and U.S. Senators.  Darn.  We still do not qualify to be a patient.

Then, in about 2006, I get a flyer in the mail, from the Mayo Clinic, telling me it is Summer, and they have openings for new patients.  First of all, the Mayo Clinic is so desperate for patients, it has to send out direct mailings soliciting them?   Well, given the experience I had with them on the telephone, I can see why they might have trouble.

That is what I was told, when I called the clinic and the satellite office.  Thanks for the information.  I guess it shows that, on occasion, they let dingbats answer the phone for them.

The Mayo Clinic requires referrals in some areas of specialization, not in others. It sounds to me like the first person you spoke to did not understand or realize your mother was an older woman. She could have referred you to a different office that could then have determined whether a referral was appropriate to get your mother the care she needed at that time.

I suspect that Sen. McCain was treated there despite his age not because he was a special VIP but because his medical issue was among those the clinic specializes in.

The basic concept of places like Mayo is that general patient care--the flyer for new patient openings--helps subsidize the expensive care of the conditions and diseases for which they're renowned.

Obstetrics and Gynecology

https://www.mayoclinic.org/departments-centers/obs...

ContactArizona    Mayo Clinic Gynecology    5881 E. Mayo Blvd.    Phoenix, AZ 85054    Phone: 480-515-6296Florida    Mayo Clinic Obstetrics and Gynecology    4500 San Pablo Road    Jacksonville, FL 32224    Phone: 904-953-0924Minnesota    Mayo Clinic Obstetrics and Gynecology    200 First St. SW    Rochester, MN 55905    Phone: 507-284-2511  

• Marc

Im not too sure what your question is here. I live in Arizona and have been a patient at the Mayo.  Im not sure where the OB/Gyn is coming from as it sounds like you are not in any need of that area of medicine.  The Mayo cares for a great number of conditions. Here is a link to show the areas of practice: https://www.mayoclinic.org/departments-centers/ind...

I know they do not take any new Medicare cases beyond a certain date.  As far as mailings are concerned, with covid being a big deal, everyone is announcing their availability...mayo is no different. they are not desperate for patients.  Senator McCain had cancer. They treat cancer and  cater to VIPs.  You may want to call back and start over with their main scheduling department.  I dont think you guys need peds or OB/Gyn....tell the scheduler what you are looking for for your elderly mother. It may be an insurance issue....