Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 1 month ago

Will I lose everything if I upgrade from windows 7 to 10?

I hope that you have been backing up your personal folders and files onto something external to the computer (external hard-drive, the Cloud, etc.). That you should do anyway every month or so in case the computer dies and cannot be revived.

Get u a portable hard drive and move everything that u want to keep to that drive and started doing your thing. I clean my computer out once a year or if errors starts coming. Then i get everything that i have on the computer like files and Docs and move them over to the portable hard drive, Noooo problem

• Virus

What is everything? Your personal files? Your settings? Your apps?

The only thing you can surely preserve are your personal files. Everything else will be lost.

Nonetheless, it is always better to have a backup of your personal files before doing major upgrades to your computer.

Source(s): Personal experience.

Not if you do not want to lose anything.  When you do the Windows 10 update one of the thing it is ask you is if you want to keep your current data and programs.  Answer that with a yes and everything is still there after the update.  By default, it does a "yes" to that question.

If you go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/... and you can download the Media Creation Tool that will upgrade your Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free.  Be warned that the update can take 3 to 5 hours to complete.  

But if you select to "Keep your programs and files", you will not lose anything by upgrading.  It is a screen that has this option in big letters about 10 to 15 minutes into the update.  Before it actually starts to ake any changes to your compupter.

Also, it makes a back up of your Windows 7 and your programs files in folder called "Windows.old"  It can be used to restore anything the update does remove.  (Note: It does NOT back up your data files.)

No, Not lose data when installing windows first take backup

• garry

upgrade you mean install windows 10 , they dont make an ungrade any more , answer is no .

I would back up what you want to keep onto some kind of external/removable storage then do a fresh install of Windows 10.,Microsoft have a media creation tool you can download to help make a bootable Win10 USB bootstick.

Like what? your life, your money? your job?

You lose none of your data although you may have some programs that relate specifically to windows 7 and may not work. Generally, the upgrade process alerts you to that.

• donnie

I would definitely back things up.