Can I make a license in a different state without having my residency taken away from California? ?

I’m a college student in California and get in state tuition because I established residency there but because of COVID I came back to New Jersey for a couple of months to stay with my mom. I need to make a license in order to get a car back in California so my question is can I make a license in New Jersey and then when I go back to California in January I can switch it for a California license all without ruining my instate status and residency in California? 

Favorite Answer

You cannot get a license in another state unless you are a resident of that state.  Which would make you NOT a resident of California.  You will lose your CA in state tuition.

You're not supposed to be able to do that, but this is California and no one's paying attention out here.