Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

House we rent in receivership ?

Hi! My fiancé and i live in Ireland both work full time but our wages just aren’t enough for the rent amount being charged in my town. We have been renting a house for a year and a half with our 2 dogs in it also. It’s not the best house but we pay €800 a month in rent plus bills and it’s all cash in hand. 

We got a letter saying the house was in receivership and anyone who rented there would have to be rent to them now and not the landlord. We panicked as we have nowhere else to go. The landlord came down to pick up the letter and told us not to worry, that they can’t just evict us and he would inform them that we don’t pay rent that we are maintaining the house for him. This was about 6 weeks ago. Now we have had another letter in our door saying that any money has to be paid now to the bank details in the letter and we just don’t know what to do. My main question is can we be evicted at any time? We have to start trying to get the money from somewhere for a deposit for a new place incase we need to but at the moment it is very worrying. I asked on the phone if he had contacted them about us just maintaining the place and he kind of bypassed the question. Just very concerned, I will pay this company the rent if I have to but it says they can come inspect the place? I’m concerned they will inspect it and up the rent also. Just very worrying and stressed. Any advice or knowledge of these situations would be appreciated 

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Your old landlord no longer owns the house.  He failed to pay the payments due.  It is owned by the lender now - reverted back to them.  You MUST pay them the full amount of rent that you have been paying the landlord, as of the first payment due after you got the first letter informing you that it is in receivership.  They will not raise the rent and they will not evict you, at least not right away.  In the U.S., a date will be scheduled when the house will go to auction.  People are informed 3 or 4 times of that date, informed and reminded in writing.  Be prepared to move out by the time it goes to auction.  When it is sold at auction, a new owner may want to move in to their new home right away.  Laws vary.  You might have a few days after it sells but, if you don't want to hire a lawyer to find out the law, be prepared to be gone by the date it goes to auction.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
  • G R
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Look up what the renters rights are for your county/city...

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Ok, this is a guess, but in most places, if you're under a lease, they can't raise the rent.  So you may be worried about nothing.  However, you do need to be honest with them about the rent.  Your landlord sounds like a crook, because nobody should EVER lie about financials like this.  It might come back to haunt you if he told them you live there for free, and then you try to convince them you've been paying the same low amount.  Do you have anything in writing to confirm this?  When payments are in cash, always demand a receipt for that.  Otherwise, it's your word against his that you even paid it.

I'd get legal advice.

• 1 month ago

First off, since you are in Ireland and I'll bet nobody on here answering the question is also from Ireland, so you need to take all answers with a huge grain of salt. Not that we aren't trying, we just don't know Irish law (possibly one or 2 answerers will know Irish law on this a bit, but I doubt it).

Having said that, I'd do one of 2 things. Option 1, probably the better option, is to get with a lawyer, or someone else who really knows real estate law where you are, and ask them what to do. You don't know if the house has really changed ownership yet (though it sounds like it has) and if the new owner can evict you with 1 months notice or what they can actually do. So, you need professional advice on all this, so go ask a lawyer knows deals with real estate and they can probably give you the best advice. Problem is, this will cost you something and if you can't afford this, then you may have to go with option 2.

Option 2 is to assume the bank (whoever is sending these notices) really does now own the place and knows what they are doing. So, you'd better simply call them up and explain the whole situation and ask them where to send the new rent and how much. You probably need to start sending them your rent immediately and may even owe them for back rent (which you paid to the former landlrod) though they may forgive any past payments (may have to) if you are upfront with them now. This is risky as they could give you some bad advice (maybe the transfer of ownership isn't complete, what do I know) but it sounds like they do now own the place and just want their money.

Also, they may now be able to evict you and might do that. They may inspect the place and raise your rent. They may do other stuff, but assuming they know what they are doing, they may do that anyhow, and getting with them and trying to work this out may at least cause them to work with you a bit more on things (might not but play the odds and try to work with them).

I wouldn't trust the current landlord for anything. He seems to be trying to play the system (pretending you don't even pay rent, apparently) which could get you into real trouble and probably can't help you now however much he may (or may not) want to.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Sounds like you are NOT under a lease  as it is all cash in hand..are you still paying the old landlord?

you can be evicted for playing games and lying that you don't pay rent.....you need to pay the 800 to the new landlord.

without a lease, i suspect it is the same as in the US, they can raise your rent....a lot if its currently below market rate...with proper notice

• Bill
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Call or go see the bank that sent you the letter. Your “landlord” no longer owns the place. 

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The 'landlord' has been scamming Revenue ie, breaking the law by not declaring they have a rental and wants you to 'join' in with his  scamming by backing him up..he has been declared bankrupt and hiding money he earns so as not to pay the debts he owes.

If you have no legal contract then as far as the law in Ireland is concerned you are living in the for property free with ZERO claim to be there ( squatting) if you lie like the landlord wants you to ( Squatting is not recognised in Irish law) so one months notice and court eviction is what will happen.......... if you pay the rent to the receiver then it is likely you will get to remain for longer in the property  but if the property is sold off and it is likely to be then the reciever will give you notice to leave once sold....... as the housing market is bad in Ireland it could take a long time to sell it, which means you could potntially have a much longer time

BUT go and get legal advice NOW https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/rent... and https://www.threshold.ie/

• 1 month ago

If the landlord no longer owns the property, he also doesn't get rent. So your agreement (such as it is) moves to the new owner, as does your requirement to pay rent to them rather than this. 

Speak to the company who sent the letter and find out more. It sounds like the landlord is lying to you (and probably also the government). You shouldn't back up his lies, as it'll get you in trouble too. 

If you have no formal lease, you're considered a month to month tenant - so you or the owner can give one month's notice to end this at any time. Until that point, everything agreed (ie rent amount, and anything else) continues as before. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.