Phil
Phil asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 month ago

Are you aware that mankind has just landed a spacecraft on an asteroid 100 million miles from Earth and succesfully  taken samples?

dating back to the "Big Bang" the very beginning of the universe 13.8 billion years ago ?

That is further than the distance  from the Earth to the sun, and now it's on its way back another 100 million miles to NASA on Earth.

Have we all become so bored with space travel that even this amazing feat does not really  get reported by the mainstream media so very few people are aware of it   ?

by the way 100 million miles is aproximately  420 times the distance from the Earth to the Moon, each way.

Seriously ?

Why is it in the wrong category ?

It is an event which is current .

• snafu
    Favorite Answer

You’re right it is an amazing feat.  Hopefully the samples it brings back tells us something new about the universe’s origins and how we come into being.  Until scientists study the data it’s just remains theory.

I am also aware that it has yet to confirm capture of samples, and will check for that using torque calculations very soon, that it can make 2 more attempts if necessary, and also  that it will hang around asteroid until March next year. So it's not on its way back yet.

I imagine that all the homeless and  the terminally ill will be happy that the government spent $800 million on a box of rubble.

• Yes, I'm aware.

I'm also aware this question is in the wrong category. 

Already been done some time ago by the Japanese.