Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificPhilippines · 1 month ago

Is democracy bad for the Philippines? ?

I constantly see this post being shared on Facebook by very influential Duterte supporters and also supporters of Marcos, even the communist ones who blame poverty and corruption and the way the Philippines is on democracy, that it is the worst political ideology, created by the imperialist "west" especially America.

Many blame democracy because it gives liberals too much freedom to be corrupt,  and are against criticism of the government. But, there are countries  Asia who you would call democracy and do fine, same in Europe. Is democracy really the problem? Or is it more of many things?

Would dictatorship or communism work better?

Democracy is bad for a lot of other countries because it didn't form naturally.  Most of the time it was forced.

Yes. There are aspects that I see democracy is bad for the Philippines. Still many people do not follow the law. Most activists are against the government. Criminals have no fear because they have connections. The other legal entities or organisations do illegal activities at the back. The punishment for corrupt officials is too light for me.