Anonymous

Does my family have to know where I’m staying on vacation ?

I’m 33 

and have my own home but they know I’m leaving for a couple weeks. 

I’m going away with a guy I’m hooking up with (22). My friends know about it but my brothers and parents want to know why I’m leaving 

I don't know what the deal is between you and your family. How are strangers supposed to know what they have to know or don't have to know???

No, there is no legal requirement that your family know where you or who you hook up with.

For the sake of your personal security it would be wise to let them know where you're staying. You don't have to tell them why though. They'll just need to be able to tell the police where to look for you should you fail to return from this trip. 

• T J

You do not have to tell them, as long as a friend has all of your plans and dates, locations it should be fine. I say this, just in case of a emergency and they need to get in touch with you.

You should be safe, at any age, by telling someone where you'll be and who you'll be with. But if you've already informed friends, I don't see why your family needs to know anything more than "I'm going on vacation." If they ask "why" the obvious answer is, "to get away for awhile, have a good time, relax." They don't need to know any more than that. 

• Tell them the city you're going to; that's really all you need to provide.

Well if you want to be smart and safe you should tell someone with who and where you'll be. 

• Mark

It would be in your best interests to inform them of at least the general location, and carry your cell phone.