Should I return the gift? ?

My daughter came home from school today with a brand new pair of Nike shoes.  The school’s guidance counselor pulled her into her office and told her someone would like to anonymously give her the new shoes. 

Now, the shoes she was wearing was very weathered and she was in need of new shoes, but her birthday is next week and one of her gifts was a pair of new shoes. 

My family is not “poor”- we aren’t rich but we can most definitely afford to buy new shoes for our daughter.  She does wear nice clothes.  I’m sure whoever gifted the shoes had the best intentions and their heart was in the best place. But I don’t want to give the impression that we need a hand out. Should I be grateful for the gift or should I call the guidance counselor and ask if the shoes can be passed onto a student that might need them more than my daughter. 

Accept, gracefully then give the counselor the dollar amount you were planning to spend on new shoes for your daughter. Ask her to use that money to help another child who may need new shoes or a warm jacket, or school lunch paid for.

Pass it On is always the best solution in these situations.

At first, discuss with the counselor that is there anybody who needs this more. If there is nobody then keep it. thanks for you thoughts.

I dont know, up to you

Don't return the gift. The sender wholeheartedly gave it to your daughter.

• kelvin

no you shouldn't

• Entity

Graciously accept them. It was a gesture of kindness.  They wont say who the anonymous person is, to avoid any kind of embarrassment.

• D50

If they fit, keep them. Won't she be happy with TWO pairs that aren't worn out yet?

Returning a gift is disrespectful. Besides they are for your daughter - not for you. Be grateful and let your daughter wear them.