Shop-bought snacks for work?

I started working in an NHS office and am trying to stop eating quite so many crisps, chocolates and biscuits. My travel time wildly increased from my last job, so I'd prefer to take something shop-bought that doesn't require prep time if at all possible.

As I don't like fruit (other than bananas) and veg, I've been really struggling to think of snacks to take with me. So far I've taken yogurt, peanuts, rice cakes, and occasionally some cubed cheese.

I was piling on weight with daily sandwiches and pasta pots (somehow more than when I had ready meals every day!) so swapped to soups, cereals, and crackers, but even that's doing my head in now. Ideas most welcome!

Favorite Answer

Would you be able to eat fruits and veggies if you tried a variety of dips for them? Fruits can be dipped in yogurt, nutella, peanut butter, or lite whipped topping, and that generally makes them taste better. Freezing fruits such as berries and grapes makes them very yummy too.

Try different sauces and dips for your veggies too. Try salsa, any kind of salad dressing, peanut butter, ranch or guacamole to give your veggies some life. 

Try making your own lunchables. Just get your favorite crackers, sliced meats and cheese and just put them together in a sealed container. Way cheaper than buying them from the store and easy to carry.

Try making extra of what ever you are having for your dinner that night, and packaging up a bit for the next day. It doesn't need to be much, but enough that you have a little meal from it. 

Go to the dried bulk food section in your grocery store and get some nibbles that you can make your own customized snack mix. You can get mini pretzels, Asian rice cracker mix, peanuts or any other nuts you like, raisins (plain, chocolate or yogurt covered), dried fruits, m-n-m's, other little candy, and just make your own mix that you can take some in a covered container with you to snack on. 

Look through the single-serve microwave section if you have access to a microwave. There are lots of small, single-serve containers of foods that you can heat and take with you. 

Yogurt, Nuts and Dried Fruit, Cereal Bar.

• denise

Granola bars, Belvita biscuits, Cous-cous salads,  10 calories jelly pots,  Celery / carrot sticks with hummus dip.

forget about the weight thing. those foods are comfort and help u with the day. tthats why. try granola bars. they are also sugary and u will eat like 5 a day, but its OKAY.

No fruit or veg?   Hmmm....

Hard boiled eggs and beef jerky are high in protein and low in carbs.

Granola bars or protein bars?

Hummus has protein AND fiber - you can dip a healthy, fiberous cracker like rye tack and it's pretty tasty.