How do you know identify bargain branded suits for men?

If I buy really cheap suits how would they know? I'm trying to avoid paying 5gs for a nice suit. 

You can check a nice store. I always shop at Burlington. 

• D50

Find a cheaper suit that's made with nice material; soft wool that drapes nicely, fine weave. Then spend your money on getting it tailored to fit you properly. You will look good. An expensive ready-made suit that doesn't fit will look terrible. Make sure yours does fit.

• Fin

There is absolutely no reason you need to spend 5k on a suit.

You can get a very nice suit for $150-400, even cheaper if it is on sale.  

A good suit is made from fine wool.  The higher the thread count, the more expensive it tends to be (Honestly though, most folks are not going to be able to discern the difference). Stay away from polyester or polyester blends - those look cheap.

The other huge factor, as JJ mentioned - get your suit fitted/tailored.  A fitted suit looks 100 times better than just grabbing it off the rack and donning it.  Most stores where you buy the suit (Nordstroms, Men's Wearhouse, etc) will tailor it for you at no additional charge.

• kelvin

you shop around and buy what you can afford

• JJ

The expensive suits just have "that look" where you know they paid a lot of money. I think part of it is taking it to a tailor and having them customize it. But even that will cost $100 or more.

It obvious by the way they fit and how the fabric drapes and wrinkles.

Try thrift shops in upscale communities.