Eggs in fridge?

Should you put eggs in the fridge?

38 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

If you're French Canadian, you place them at room temperature in the cupboard with the milk, cheese, and butter. 

• 1 month ago

In the USA commercially sold eggs have to be washed/sanitized.  This removed a protective coating on the eggs. 

In other countries (and home producers) do not do this.

Bottom line, if the eggs were refrigerated when you purchased them then you shoulkd keep them in the refrigerator. 

• Carrie
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

If they are from the store, they must be refrigerated. If they are from your own chickens, do NOT wash and they can be kept on the counter for up to a month.  You can wash them and put in the fridge, but it isn't necessary if you don't wash them. 

• Misty
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

yes. please do. i don't want to see them spoil on you.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

If you are buying organically raised, cage free eggs with harder shells, it's not 100% necessary to refrigerate them, especially if you are going to be using them regularly. If you don't use a lot of eggs, it's probably just a bit safer. This really depends on WHERE you live, however. And the eggs themselves. 

Here's something you can do: test your eggs. Leave one egg out all the time, somewhere in a safe place, and the rest in the fridge. Then after one or  two weeks, test the egg that you left out by putting it into a container with enough water to cover it--if it floats, it is spoiled and should be discarded. If it drops to the bottom of the container, it's still perfectly edible. You can see just how long it will take for eggs left out of the fridge to spoil that way. If the egg spoils quickly, just keep them refrigerated. 

And another tip for making eggs last longer--NEVER wipe them off when you buy them. Eggs have a protective coating on the shell that keeps them from spoiling quickly and wiping that off shortens their shelf life. .  

• keerok
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I live in a hot and humid environment where critters abound so yes, the fridge is the safest place to store eggs.

• 1 month ago

Wanna know what happens when health regulations are tossed out the window?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do I need to say it?

• 1 month ago

Depends where you are.

In the UK, eggs don't need to be refrigerated. 

In other countries depending on how eggs are treated, you may need to do so.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You don't specify a country. I'm in the UK and that's what I'm talking about.

You can put them in the  fridge if you want to - I do because it keeps them out of the way. Refrigerating them will certainly do no harm but there is no advantage in doing it. They won't last any longer.

Apparently in the US they wash them for some reason before they are sold. This means the shells become porous and the egg can be infected by bacteria.

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

In the US? Yes. In the UK? No. They are processed differently in the US than most of the rest of the world. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.