Sobia asked in Food & DrinkEthnic Cuisine · 1 month ago

Can I light a fire with just wooden chopsticks?

I am really desperate for a fire and I dont have a lighter or matches I just have wooden chopsticks from the sushi I had last week.  

Do what the first man did and wait for lightning to strike or a volcano to erupt.  No one even knew they could make fire until they saw one started by lightning or lava and touched it with a stick and saw that it was... infectious.  

Do you have a little 9 volt battery?  a piece of cottonball?  a piece of steel wool?  Just place the steel wool on top of the battery to make the positive and negative poles connect, and watch it burst into flames.  Toss those flames into your cottonball and run for the fireplace!  No, wait, you ought to try this in the fireplace already.  You'd never make it across the room before you burned yourself.

You can always try the old firestarting trick rubbing two sticks together (a bow string would help).  I recommend you go to youtube and watch some videos on firestarting.  Lots of fun in your back yard when mom's not looking.  Handy for later when you're camping.

• denise

Not a very big one, no.

• kswck2

Desperate for a fire-WHY? Just use the stove. 

do u have a gas stove? that could work. just stick the chopstick . but it wont last long. the fire i mean. also if u have an essense stick. u can keep poking it and have flashes of fire. i discovered this by accident because i was trying to light a candle without matches. by the time it reaches the candle,it dies. thats why had to relight it. but it works for like 3 seconds .

• James

No. Rubbing two sticks together can work if you do it right but chop sticks aren't thick enough and they would break before you applied enough force to get the required friction for fire.