Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 2 months ago

Should I be concerned with what I saw on my 23 year old daughters pinterest account?

I love my daughter dearly but she has had a rough couple of years. She got out of a relationship with a much older man that she dated for around 2 years. This man was 40 and he was verbally abusive to my daughter. Thankfully with the support of family she was able to break up with him and is slowly phasing him out of her life. I have pleaded with her to focus on college and getting an education because she's so close to a bachelors degree.

Just a couple of months after she broke things off with her older bf she started dating a guy her own age and her father, brother and I were relieved. He's a nice boy, he's mormon, he has a full time job and a good family. My daughter has threatened to cut me off if I intervene in her relationships because I intervened in her relationship with the 40 year old and told him I didn't want him with my daughter. So now I know it's better to let her make her mistakes and support her if things don't work out.

I follow her on pinterest and she made a board titled "secret board" the board is shared with her new boyfriend and it says it's a joint board that they can both contribute to.

She has this post in the board and it's titled "71 funny pregnancy memes"

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/449234131587328600/?...

Should I be worried?

She’s an adult ... you don’t need to be snooping , she can take care of herself 

first thing i want to say. your daughter is a grown woman. and she has own life not a baby anymore. why are you being nossy to spy on your daughter ever move. i never spy on mind kids .if theyre not getting into big trouble or law or breaking any laws then  let her have own spaces for herself. she is not a kid anymore. not really your business what she does in her own life. because she soon will move out of the house soon as she get a job and going to college soon she will plan to move out from the house and move in to a college complex and making new friends. ect. why are you over protected her . i bet she getting tired of mom following and listening every thing she does or on the phone and email.. plus let her be in relationship . nothing like she is doing bad things in her life. all girls like that include boys too. i was like that too but now iam grown woman i fix my mistakes for long years. i got over it. i dont never spy on my kids . if you as a parent should trust your kids . if she needed someone else to talk to about something then wait  when ever she is ready to talk about somethings . right now she sound like she just enjoying her life growning up and learning many others things. and you shouldnt be worried so much about your daughter having a printerest account because everyone else had that and not only that alot of kids and adults also have facebook, macbook, and other emails accounts. if she is not doing wrong or bad things being online then you should trust her . . i think you as parent worried too much about what your daughters up too in life. pinterest isnt bad site they do not sell or show any thing bad things on there not like porngraphy or chat room. where you buy and look something you like to get. its safe site . if your daughter end up pregnant then that not your business . if she is grow woman then she has a job or her boyfriend has a good part time or full time job then she has a good man to support her and their baby. if you as a mom maybe you shouldnt be worried alot about it. maybe talk to your daughter with your husband see if you all can sit down together and talk about things with her .dont be so pushy about whats really happpen because she will mad and angry and walk off away from you and her dad. should work things out together. because she isnt a baby anymore. she has a job or planning to get a job then let her do herself. just have to be honest and trusted each other and be there for her . if she isnt pregnant at all. then maybe just a made up title of her account . is just something she is doing for other younger girls and ladies out there that are pregnant  and trying to help them out. i have a friend daughter who has a shopping website that sells babies stuffs and for mommies include . nothing bad to have something like. earn money and more likely a job. 

If your worst fear is that your adult daughter might get pregnant by what sounds like a pretty decent guy, yeah, that could be what's going on. But if she is pregnant you'll surely find out about it sooner or later. I wouldn't freak out about this just yet. 

• Ocimom

While you intervene when it comes to abuse or drugs, back off on the new  boyfriend.  She's over 18 yrs old - an adult, so let her choose who she wants to date.

Im not sure what the age of her boyfriend has to do with anything.  She has the right to choose her boyfriend no matter if you like his age or not.  Really she is an adult you can help her and advise her if she wants it but you cant and shouldn't try to control her thats as bad as an abusive man.  Maybe she wanted an older established man with enough money to care for her to get away from your abusive control of her.

I think you should pray and make some sort of deal with Jesus Christ in regards to her wellbeing. In a way I think that we are living in an age were things are only getting more immoral and where rules are going out the window. 

A devout Mormon or a Jack-off Mormon?

I think your daughter is legally an adult, entitled to make her own decisions independent of you.

• a

A devout Mormon or a Jack Mormon?  Mormons discourage pre-marital sex, or at least, observant ones do. As a rule, I try to keep silent about poor partner choices. A woman I know told me she'd have probably not married her first husband except for the fact that everyone was telling her what a jerk he was - and she was determined to prove everybody wrong.

Keep your mouth shut. As the new boyfriend, *I* would be questioning the 'phasing out' of an old beau, but what do I know? I'm old.

She's dating a Mormon, and Mormonism is a dangerous and misogynistic cult.  So yes, you should be worried.  But as you've pointed out, she won't let you get involved.  So all you can do is be patient.  Help her if and when she decides to escape.  Do some research - there are many organizations run by ex-Mormon women who specialize in helping Mormon women escape.  See if they have any advice or tips for how to help without alienating your daughter.  Reddit has an ex-Mormon forum that may provide some helpful links.