Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 2 months ago

Did the Beatles really invent Hard Rock?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

They really did not.  Hard rock evolved into existence, it wasn't invented.

• 1 month ago

seeing as everyone stole from everyone else,  no one invented anything. 

• Nick
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

The Kinks- You Really Got Me was '64, The Sonics cover of Have Love Will Travel was '65, ...I mean, heck, you ever heard the stuff Johnny Guitar Watson recorded in the early 50s?

• garry
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

no , they didnt , beatles dont do hard rock .

they do rock and roll with some pop music .

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Tony B
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Nobody “invented” it. There's not even a good definition of what “hard rock” is (or for that matter, “soft rock”). Styles of music just develop (the 1960s and 1970s was a time when many new styles of music “emerged”). Eventually, if there are enough examples of it that it becomes a recognised style or type of music.

I’d guess that it would be possible to find something from the 1950s (or earlier) that, with hindsight, could be called “hard rock”. Sone people might even use the term to describe some pieces of classical music.

• No, not by a country mile.  The Kinks were producing grungier sounds than them but if anyone deserves the credit it's probably The Who and Jimi Hendrix.

• 2 months ago

No one really invented it, just like no one individual really invented most things. Things created by humans generally build on what other humans created before them. The Beatles were influenced by others just as they influenced many.

Some will claim The Who 'invented' hard rock. If you want to throw a nod their way, then you must also acknowledge the words of Pete Townshend himself, who said that if he'd never heard Link Wray's 'Rumble' (1958), he'd have never picked up a guitar.

• Moloch
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

That depends on what you mean by Hard Rock.  They really liked Jimi Hendrix.  John nearly fried a sound board trying to get fuzz on his guitar for Revolution.  Paul read that The Who played the loudest concert ever so he wrote Helter Skelter. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

LOL...NO.......

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Elements of one music style are used in forming a new music style. Sometimes there are enough similarities to consider some songs of an artist as hybrid of two styles. It's all about where lines are drawn. What we call Rock and Roll can be said is precursor to soft rock and hard rock. Metal can be said is a branch off Hard Rock. I don't think the Beatles "invented" hard rock, but is 1969 Beatles "Helter Skelter" a Hard Rock song? The Psychedelic music follow-on split into soft and hard rock and songs going back to the 1960's are the origin, but no one group or artist really invented Hard Rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWW2SzoAXMo

Youtube thumbnail

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.