frank r asked in SportsWrestling · 1 month ago

Overall who is the superior WWF champion Bruno Sammartino or Bob Backlund and why? ?

Who is the superior champion...has to be Bruno Sammartino easily. 

Bruno was by far the more popular of the two easily. At the time New York, which is where WWWF was based mostly, was filled with a high Italian population. Bruno Sammartino attracted that crowd. If you ask a regular person who casually watched wrestling from the 70s what wrestler they know..they'd likely say Bruno Sammartino or Andre the Giant. Backlund wouldn't be or would unlikely be the name they'd say. 

Who was the better wrestler though? Bob Backlund considering he had a legit wrestling background and would incorporate that into his matches. He was by far the better wrestler. Saying that, Bruno I believe in total held the WWWF championship for over a decade. He carried and drew for the company with his reign. Something that Backlund didn't do as well.

Technically, if you want you can say also Backlund was the superior WWF champion since the belt Bruno held was actually the WWWF Championship..but that's a technicality.

• Uzaif

Bruno Sammartino I guess, He was more popular.

Bruno Sammartino i would say.

• adam

technical wrestling? Backlund due to his college wrestling. HOWEVER Bruno sold out MSG time after time so he was far more popular. I myself prefer Bruno. 

• David

Sammartino was more powerful, Backlund the better technical wrestler.  Depends on which is more important to you.

Bruno was before my time but I've heard he was the greatest WWF champion of all time so based on that he wins, still liked Bob backlunds heel run though in 1994/95, I thought he was hilarious playing psycho Bob.

• Adam

Bruno easy. Being champion, especially in those days, basically means it's your name that draws the gate. The bigger the gate, the more successful the champion. Bruno was the bigger draw as champion, therefore superior to Bob.

Ive got one for you. Could Vince Jnr have been as successful with a prime bruno in the Hogan role

• Bob Backlund was a Top College Wrestler and was a better Technical Wrestler than Bruno Sammartino. However, Bruno Sammartino was a Power Wrestler and a Box Office Draw in Major Cities along The Eastern Seaboard of The United States from Boston, Massachusetts to Washington DC. I don't think anyone has as many consecutive sellouts of Madison Square Garden as Bruno Sammartino did.

Bruno Sammartino because he could draw better.

Imo Backlund was the better worker in the ring but was far away from being the draw that Sammartino was.

The downside of Backlund was that he had a better run during the 90's (after being the WWF Champion), while Sammartino was at his peak during his Championship run. No one on the roster came close to the popularity of Sammartino at the time.

So for you question, Bruno Sammartino was indeed the superior WWF Champion.