Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsDrawing & Illustration · 1 month ago

I commissioned an artist but realized I can't pay. How should I politely tell them this?

Luckily they said they wouldn't start drawing my commission until I paid, so I'm pretty sure they haven't started working on it yet. But I'm just wondering how to politely tell them I changed my mind. We emailed back and forth a bit so it seems rude to just ghost them. Obviously I don't expect them to draw for me for free but I don't know how to explain the situation. I'm worried about coming off as rude or like I'm expecting free artwork.

• JOHN B

Fugiit about it.

• keerok

Just be polite and straightforward. Explain to them you currently lack the funds to go through with the project but you have to tell them NOW!

• ~

Hey, I'm a professional graphic designer with 5 years of company experience in the field. I design for customers all the time. The best way to let the artist know, is to write and tell them that you simply don't need the artwork at this time. Be straightforward, and apologize, and say that your plans changed and that you no longer need the artwork. This type of stuff happens all the time, so they will understand. Just, be polite!

I don't know, are you actually able to tie your own shoes?

if you can't pay tell them that. they could just put interest on the work or something until you do pay just to make more money out of you for wasting their time. Yes it's not their responsibility to rely on whether or not you're going to be a timewaster; but also it's your responsibility to not be rude and to commit to something fully. Either apologise and hope for the best or pay the artist when you can.

that person was relying on you for rent... they were probably really excited and put everything on hold because they had their hopes up for getting paid. and now you say no? even if they didn't start working on it, it's still a really rude thing to do. what even is your excuse?  i would still give them at least a tip, if i were you, for the inconvenience. 

I'm an artist who does the occasional commission work, and there are my two cents:

You tell them ASAP that you're very sorry for the inconvenience, but that you need to cancel the commission, because you've discovered that you can't afford it after all.

Don't make them wait and don't ghost them. That would be rude and annoying for them, especially if they have set aside time in their schedule for you.

The longer you wait the worse it is going to be. 

Just be honest with them and let them know you don’t have the money right now. If you can, schedule the commission for another time when you have the money. 

just be honest with them