Rerouting network cable in other room?

I would like to ask what are the ways to access internet on my non-wifi PC? Because I'll be transferring to my bedroom which is about 5m apart from the router. The router is connected with the rj11 cable which is fixed in my living room. Should I buy a long rj45 cable and make the cable go through my room? Buy a wifi to lan adapter to lessen the wirings? Any ideas? Thanks

9 Answers

  • 1 month ago

    Download GoingVPN for Android

  • BigE
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

    Powerline works, but can be inconsistent on speed.  You can get one with both WIFI and cabled outputs.

    Of course, wired is the best, but cable routing can be problematic.

    If wifi speed works for you (usually non-gaming) and you have WIFI then a USB/WIFI adapter will work.  Make sure it works for your OS.

    A wifi travel router in Client mode gives you wired out from your existing wifi.  It is harder to setup, however.

  • 3 months ago

    Yes buy that,ask for one.

  • 3 months ago

    Use wifi extender or Powerline Adaptors to address the issue you are facing.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Roddy
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

    Your best option is to use Powerline Adaptors as other correspondents have said.  

    You can run a long ethernet cable if you can find a suitable route for it, but remember that the plugs on the end of the cable will require a larger hole than the cable itself wherever there is a wall in the way.

  • 3 months ago

    A powerline adapter will work well. It uses the housing electrical wiring to route the signal between the two powerline adapters. One plugs into a wall socket near your router with network cable going in to the back of the router. The second plugs into a wall socket near your PC with network cable going in to the PC.

  • ?
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

    The easiest way -use powerline adapters.Adapters use existing electrical wiring.One powerline adapter,plugged into el outlet by router,another -by computer.You connect each adapter with ethernet cable to router and to PC.

  • 4 months ago

    You can use either option - a cable or a wifi adaptor.

    Generally a cable will be more reliable and faster.  But you have the issue of getting the cable to the PC is there is a wall in the way.  You would have to make a hole through the wall.  Measure the distance and get a cable that is just a couple feet longer than the distance, as the shorter the cable the better the signal.

    A wifi adaptor will cost you about the same as the cable.  And at that distance sould be reliable.  

  • Anonymous
    4 months ago

    Try to cable it in if gaming or streaming video.

    Look for CAT 6, CAT 6A, or CAT 7 cable.

    Measure the length of cable you need. They are in meters. Avoid extra cable, but don't pull it tight.

    Wifi is generally slower and needs a good antenna.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.