chris asked in HealthOptical · 2 months ago

Is Lasik eye surgery risky?

I wear glasses and have been thinking about Lasik for a couple of years.

• L

ANYTHING touching your eyes is dangerous.  Just wear contacts.  I've heard, from many co-workers, who had this done, and they hated it.  When driving, at night, all they saw were stars.

It has a very low risk if you pass the consultation. 

Just like any medical procedure it can be but its minimal. I would like to get it done but I cant afford to. I wore contacts for over 30 years and now I wear progressive bi focal glasses. 

Not really.  Millions of people have had successful Lasik procedures over the last 20 years.  This isn't a particularly new procedure, but the technology has improved.

There are always risks to any surgery and, unfortunately, a problem with eye surgery could result in blindness.  As David E said, people get particularly upset when the choose an elective procedure out of vanity and then don't get the result they want.

Start by looking up surgeons in your area and get some information from their offices.  Select one that you like and go in for a free consultation.  Then decide.

The chances of having a problem are very low. The few people who have gotten bad results are very upset since the surgery is so elective. If you want to be talked out of it, you can search for bad LASIK results. Doctors who do LASIK have better technology and have become more conservative over the years. They won't touch patients that they would have operated on twenty years ago.

It can cause permanent damage if botched. Also your eyes can get damaged in the sun or by bright light.