Why Do the Mormons Think They Can Dictate What the Rest of Us Call Them?

First of all, the Mormons originally insisted, or at least indicated it was acceptable, to call them Mormons.  Now the Mormons tell us it is not proper.  Don't they realize that many religious groups were named by others?  For example, the Quakers were called that because then tended to go into trances and shake.  The Baptists get insisting on baptizing everyone over again, even though they all had been validly baptized as infants.  Methodist was once a term used to make fun of the methodical nature of Wesley's followers?  Why can't the Mormons be happy with this?  After all, given their weird beliefs, calling them Mormons is actually rather polite, compared to what we could call them (e.g. the church of convenient revelations).

• Archer

It seems many social groups will change what they seem to believe is an acceptable title from time to time.

I don't.  I only request that you show me the respect you would want from me.  You can be that mature, can't you?  Please use my church's proper name.  It was a mistake to start calling ourselves what our enemies called us.  Jesus Christ has corrected us.

I'll just keep calling them what I've always called them - 'suckers'.

• Misty

Every cult makes its own rules, that is how that cult rolls.

call the latter day saints what you will, the true name of the church is the long version and members are called latter day saints or LDS. as for calling members saints, it has always been the case since Joseph Smith, there was a movement in the 80's to likewise change from being called Mormons. and of course the Jews that followed Jesus while he walked the earth, they were also called "saints"

It's all part of "Political Correctness" and when we look at the history of pc terms, we see many cases where an acceptable term replaces a previous "negative" term and then later the acceptable term becomes "negative" and is replaced.  For example, "colored" was once slightly acceptable, but then "black" became the accepted term and now black is being replaced. 

• Noddy

No need to be nasty, Mormons are among the nicest, most polite people you are ever likely to meet..

• EddieJ

Asking isn't dictating.  Why can't you be happy with a group expressing their wishes?