Plane carryon question ?

So my bf and I are flying in a week. I know you can bring one carry on per ticket and you can bring a personal item. I’ll bring a duffel bag as my carry on and a backpack as my personal item, and same with my bf. Is this okay? 

Depends on the airline, but to me that sounds like two substantial packs, which might be beyond normal carry-on for that airline.  Best to check with the airline, or, if you just turn up at the desk, be prepared to have to put one item each into the hold, probably at extra cost.

Measure each container in centimetres if in the UK.  Possibly American airlines still work in inches.  Some airlines have weight limits for cases, others do not.

• RICK

As long as the backpacks are small enough to fit under the seat in front of you and the duffel bags conform to carry on size(most duffel bags do not)

Both must meet the "carryon size requirements set by the airline".

But in general as long as one of each of your items fits under the seat you should be fine. 

As long as the personal item is small enough to fit under the seat in front of you, it's okay.

As Karen accurately tells it, your bag , your purse, your knitting clutch, you lunch box, your computer bag, you waist pouch your back pouch your camel back your duffel, burlap sack, laundry bag, garbage bag your whatever is measured in INCHES/ Centimetres . If it FITS it can go on board.

EACH Airline has there specific SIZE expectations.

IF the bag does not fit you can expect to pay an extra fee for luggage or the bag stays behind no matter what name you give it.

As you are old enough to be flying off with your BF you are old enough to READ the rules for YOUR specific Airline for their information for on board baggage in particular the part that gives specifics on WEIGHT, Length, Width and Height.

You are not required to fill to bursting capacity. Leaving some room a soft sided bag can be squeezed in much easier.

• MS

What is important is that they meet the size restrictions of those items for your particular airline - it doesn't matter what kind of bags they are.  While those size limits are generally similar among all airlines, there are some differences.  

The "carry-on" item has to fit in the overhead compartment and the "personal" item has to go under the seat in front of you.  Some airlines are more strict about sizes than others.  I've had my carry-on measured many times.  My sister was charged for her personal item (on a discount carrier) because it was considered too large to be a personal item, even though it did fit under the seat in front of her. 

The airline doesn't care what your carry-on and personal item are called, if they are suitcases, backpacks, duffel bags, diaper bags, purses, tote bags, attache cases, or if they are plastic grocery bags and old pillow cases. If they fit the airline's size requirements, they're fine. Your airline's website will say what sizes are permitted.

Each airline has their own rules which can also vary with the exact type of ticket and route.

You cannot assume any of what you have asserted in your question. 

Check your ticket and then check the airline website: it will make clear what you may bring aboard as hand luggage and what you may check-in as hold baggage. It will also give you the exact weight limits for hold baggage and hand baggage, and the size limits for both hand baggage and the personal item.

Generally what you have described *should* be OK if the duffel bags are very small and if the backpacks aren’t huge camping or trekking packs, but you need a factually definitive answer and your airline website is the best source for that.

You need to check what is allowed size-wise with the airline.  If your duffel bag and backpack fit the dimensions that are allowed, then yes, it's okay.  If they are too big, then no, it's not okay.

You can find this information on your airline's website.