Joseph B asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 months ago

Is There a Standard Way to Transliterate Cyrillic Characters into Roman Characters?

For example, the Russian name Леонид Ильич Брежнев is usually transliterated as Leonid Ilyich Brezhnev.

Is there a standard way to convert Cyrillic characters into Roman characters, or does it depend on the translator?  For example, why isn't he called Leonard Brezhnev in English?  

Favorite Answer

Because the letters in "Леонид" are pronounced "Leonid."

I have always known the sound - Leonid, not Leonard, for Mr Brezhnev.   'Lay-on-id', stress equal all along, not 'LEN-uhd'.

As with all transliterations, do you go for the nearest-looking letters, or for the sound. And if the sound, in which language which uses Roman characters? 

For instance, my name is John. In French it sounds fairly similar, but the 'J' is softer and the 'n' is not really heard.   But in French it is spelled 'Jean', which in English is a girl's name sounding as Jeen.

'John' in Russian is usually seen as 'Ivan', but pronounced as 'EYE-v(uh)n' in English, really as 'ee-VAHN' in Russian.    Etc, etc.

Because his name is not Leonard.  I work with a French lady named Marie.  If I called her Mary, she would tell me that that is not her name.  Most things can be translated to English, but often times names do not.

Myself, I like Google translate, which also gives you Leonid.