Spyro asked in SportsWrestling · 3 weeks ago

Do you consider these veterans legends?

Or, are they at least "legends" in your eyes?

John Morrison

CM Punk

Austin Aries

Vader

Mickie James

Victoria

The Miz

Jazz

Big Show

Edge

Matt Hardy

Sable

Brock Lesnar

Sean Waltman

Alex Shelley

AJ Styles

• Candle
    Favorite Answer

John Morrison: No, not really.  His career's been too all over the place and it's never really landed somewhere long enough for anything legendary to happen.  Oddly enough, he may have more of a legacy in Mexico than anywhere considering he won all the gold but right now the scope hasn't been pulled out and we don't see the big picture or if there even is one.  Is he a phenomenal talent whose had good matches and done great things everywhere he's landed? yeah, but nothing truly paradigm shifting enough to be considered 'legendary'.

CM Punk: I think he will be, and I think in some circles he already is, but personally? Nah.  In the microcosm of wrestling that is IWA-MS or ROH, he's a legend.  He's a guy who came up and made it big.  Has he created moments as a performer and entertainer? yeah.  Has he elicited change in wrestling? arguably.  Has some of the polish on all of those things been spoiled by high profile court cases against someone he considered his best friend, a failed MMA career, and a general malaise toward wrestling as a whole? yeah. Do I think we'll be going back and watching his big matches for years to come? no.  I don't think we'll even be all that nostalgic for Punk in the 2020's because we know for certain that no matter how many times we watch the Pipe Bomb promo or the Natural Born Killers promo in ROH, the guy's not coming back and that's the true detriment to his legacy.

Austin Aries: No.  Aries has just done too much to tarnish any positive viewpoint on his legacy in wrestling.

Vader: Of course.  He was an international superstar, a multi-time world champion in several promotions, headlined everywhere he landed, and inspired a whole generation of flippy big men.

Mickie James: Yes.  She might be one of the longest tenured female wrestlers outside of Mae Young and Moolah, and lord knows she's held her in-ring game together and improved with the times better than either of those two ever did.  There's a generation of female wrestlers who are doing it because of Mickie James.

Victoria: No.  I like Victoria, but her impact on wrestling wasn't truly lasting.  

The Miz: No.  There's potential down the line, but as an in-ring performer nothing stands out in his catalog.  If you consider Honky Tonk Man a legend, then maybe Miz could fall under that classification someday.  

Jazz: Yes, she's kind of a cult legend if anything.  She's been around forever, is one of the few great female wrestlers to come out of ECW, and has held prestigious gold.  Her WWE run was quite the flash-in-the-pan for sure, but like Mickie she's never really stopped working and actually probably has a career that spans longer than James's.  Not many women stick with wrestling for 20 years.  It's impressive and worth heralding.

Big Show: I think we have to.  There's a lot of crap bogging down the good, but Show's a legendary talent for sure.  

Edge: This one stumped me for a bit, but Edge was one of the last major draws in wrestling, is a rare grand slam talent in an era chocked full of belts and accomplishments, and has so many amazing moments as a wrestler and a performer under his belt.  Edge is a legend.

Matt Hardy: Yes, as a tag wrestler especially.  As a singles guy? not so much, but the Hardy Boys shaped an entire generation of tag wrestling for better or worse.

Sable: No.  

Brock Lesnar: No.  Don't get me wrong, Brock's a major draw, he's had some great matches in his heyday, and headlined everywhere he went, but there's just this massive storm cloud over the second half of his career for me that started in New Japan and kept following him as he came back to WWE.  He's quite the spectacle to watch, but I'm not sure what his legacy will be in wrestling.  There's something strange about the visibility of wrestling today that I think will keep a lot of talented big names off of the list, and Brock might be the second best example of that type of public image getting in the way of fair scrutiny of a performer.

Sean Waltman: Yes.  Sean Waltman's the forgotten stepfather of modern wrestling in my eyes.

Alex Shelley: No.  The Machine Guns as a tandem? maybe, but Shelley alone no.  He never quite met his true potential as a singles star.

AJ Styles: Yes.  If anyone on this list will be talked about for certain 40 years from now, it's AJ.  Be it because of TNA, ROH, New Japan, or WWE, AJ's got a legendary resume of great matches and great moments for everywhere he's landed in the past 20 years.  He also has a set expiration date for his career that will probably keep most of us chomping at the bit and wanting for more when he finally does hang up his boots.  In a lot of ways, he was the last great WCW Power Plant trainee, the first indie darling, the face of TNA, and the big star that brought Bullet Club to prominence on the U.S.  Wherever he goes, he holds world gold, leaves a trail of MotY candidates, and just takes the top spot.

Yes to Vader, mickie James, Matt hardy, Styles.