Melissa asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 3 weeks ago

Is what im doing good to lose weight ?

Currently I am eating cereal for breakfast (only has 100 calories , plus milk which should be 150 calories.)or maybe pancakes or a burrito (might be 200-300 calories those two), I eat watermelon, but 10 small cubes that are cut out, and then whatever my mom makes for food but it should be around 400-500 calories. I am also using a exercise bike and doing it for 1 hour everyday. Just wanted to see others thinking . 

2 Answers

Relevance
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Not enough calories.

Make a lifestyle change. 80% of fat loss is about what you eat, so that’s more important than exercise. Any "diet" you go on may help you lose some weight but you'll tend to gain it back if you go back to your previous ways. Unhealthy diets also can cause weight loss of tissue other than fat (such as muscle, especially if your calorie intake is too low). Use a calculator like this one https://www.freedieting.com/calorie-calculator to determine about what your calorie intake should be. You can lose UP TO 3 lbs per week in a healthy manner, but 1 - 2 lbs is much more doable and easier to maintain long term. Remember that as your activity level and/or your weight changes, your calorie needs change too. So, check the calculator as your weight goes down or your activity goes up or down, so you continue to consume calories at a level that will help induce fat loss.

Eat a healthy well-balanced diet at least 80% of the time...keep junk food, fast food, sweets, sodas, etc to a bare minimum (the occasional treat if you feel the need). Avoid as much processed food as you can. Focus on lean protein, fruits and veggies, complex carbs, healthy fats and and plenty of water. Keep your calories at a healthy level when working to lose fat. Cardio exercise is ideal for burning some extra calories. If you don't have an exercise program you want to use, youtube has TONS of fitness videos you can check out, not to mention just getting outdoors and going for a walk, run, or bike ride.

When you reach your goal, simply modify your calorie intake and/or exercise to allow you to maintain your weight instead of continuing to lose.

• bill
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago

Looks like about 1000 calories/day ingested. An hr riding a bike should make for about 300 calories burned. Dunno how active you are but sedentary caloric burn is about 2000 calories /day. If you walk around and do any work that should be good for another 500 or so.

So say you do about 2800 calories/day burn minus the 1000 for food and you get 1800 calories/day surplus. A pound of weight loss is about 3500 calories.

Yes you will lose weight if you can maintain this and if your food numbers are correct .

Make sure you get protein and some fat in your diet. The milk will help with that and if your mother serves meat.

If you can afford it buy a fitbit with a heart monitor and it will tell you how many calories you burn.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.