What is the name of the ant that can survive fire?

In Petersburg, North Carolina my Wiccan group had a fire going in our circle that was crawling with inch long black ants. We were unaware of any ants that could survive fire. For about 25 minutes we saw them crawling back and forth over and under burning logs. We're a drug-free group, so none of us were hallucinating. We weren't even doing any ritual that would have caused them. After 25 minutes, the ants formed a neat line and exited our circle through the west gate then proceeded to disappear under the multi-faith chapel where our circle meets. We never saw them again but we have both Christian and Muslim witnesses who were brought in to see if they could see what we were seeing. They could and they did.

Since, I've tried finding entomologists who are familiar with these kind of ants, but alas, no luck. Perhaps some of you have seen them or even know what they're called.

Update:

My mother has extensive experience with fires since she seems to only want to live where they happen. She, too, has seen these ants in California. And not only her but so have the firefighters. 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

my aunt Molly survived a fire

• 4 weeks ago

Must have been fire ants..!

• The devil has powers too and is why the POWER OF GOD supersedes him when one is Holy Spirit baptized with no colors.

• Jake
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

St. Catherine of Siena is one of only four female Doctors of the Catholic Church and she is the patron saint of protection against fires.  She was born on March 25, 1347 and died on April 29, 1380.  It is good to have true devotion to her and to recite novenas and other prayers in her honor.  She is a virgin and stigmatist who reformed the Church in the 14th century.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Maybe Elef ant or fire ant

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

No such ant.

Those you saw were reasonably insulated from the heat long enough to survive and escape. What you didnt see were those that burned up.

Google reveals that fire ants can lock legs into large clumps and survive floods as floating rafts.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.