Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 3 weeks ago

Is it true that more primitive people thought that animal sacrifice would earn them moral correction? And Jesus is our modern version of it?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

That's pretty accurate.

• Jake
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago

Jesus is not an animal.  He is God and infinitely greater than any creature.  A person like you or me is infinitely less than Christ yet infinitely greater than any animal.

• 3 weeks ago

yes, something like that.. Adulteries and other influences not allowed in the next life are very hard to control by the human body and mind. Priests use to sacrifice animals that would release the sinful karmic energies produced by man, in essence the animal would pay the price of releasing the sin; Jesus sent by our creator took the animals place.

• Bryce
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

The Bible says God likes to smell burnt flesh and that's how he gets his food.  "You are to wash the internal organs and the legs with water, and the priest is to burn all of it on the altar. It is a burnt offering, a food offering, an aroma pleasing to the Lord." (Leviticus 1:9)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • EddieJ
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Not really. 

It is important to note that in Judaism, sacrifice was never the exclusive means of obtaining forgiveness, was not in and of itself sufficient to obtain forgiveness, and in certain circumstances was not even effective to obtain forgiveness.

The Biblical book of Jonah tells of an entire community condemned to destruction that was forgiven when they simply repented and fasted, without ever offering any sacrifice.

Forgiveness is obtained through repentance, prayer and tzedakah (charity or other good deeds).

---------------

Also, forgiveness is not required to enter heaven. In Judaism, virtually everyone (including gentiles) goes to heaven after a limited period of purification. There is no hell to be saved from in Jewish theology. Therefore, Christianity is a solution to a problem that did not exist in Judaism.

• 3 weeks ago

Yes. But why is sacrifice some kind of redemption? If I do something wrong to someone or myself, and someone gets killed for it (Jesus) or a kill a goat for it (Some Jews still do), how does that resolve my wrong doing? Modernly, I'd say, we should learn to forgive ourselves, just as we learn to forgive others. *The savior story isn't really modern, just traditional. And what is forgiveness anyways? Sorry if I confused you at all.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Actually God began the practice of sacrifice when he slaughtered his first and totally innocent lamb in Eden for his skin to clothe (cover) Adam and Eves nakedness (sin).

Then later, Cain reciprocated by sacrificing his lamb to God. Then later came the Flood. Then the Law of Moses which mandated when and how animal sacrifices should be performed.

Then much later came Christ, the Lamb of God, who represented the only perfect sacrifice that God would accept, himself for his people. This put an end to the OT system of animal sacrifice.

Now prepare to be amazed. Jesus was that innocent Lamb in Eden.

John 1:29 KJV — The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

Revelation 13:8 KJV — And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship the beast, whose names are not written in the book of life >>>of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.<<<

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.