Rick
Lv 5
Rick asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 3 weeks ago

Are Megs (Megalodon) Sharks still with us?

Any fish whizzes out there?  Megs theoretically went extinct many millions of years ago.  I collect a lot of stuff.  Sharks teeth, metal detecting, finding really old glass bottles, etc.  The king of all shark`s teeth is the Great White Shark.  Fish Biologists find that there is no significant difference between a Great White tooth and a fossil Megalodon tooth.  Fossil remains of Megs show that Megs grew to be around 60 to 70 feet long.  They hunted the deeper seas because they were too big to hunt in the shallows.  Generally, Great Whites also hunt the deeper water.  As I understand it, the only reason they are assumed to be extinct is because nobody has seen one in like, ever!  No carcasses have been found either.  But, in the deeper seas, any commercial fishing nets would not even slow a Meg down.  Some scientists believe that Great Whites are simply the evolved Megalodon.  Smaller prey, smaller carnivore kind of thing.  Might they still be out there hunting, but only in much deeper water than people rarely frequent?  One of my prize possessions is a fossilized 6" Megalodon tooth.  It`s big and very scary.  Do you think they`re still kicking out there, and how do you think they`ll ever be found?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

Nahh Megalodon was gigantic and preyed on whales in mostly warm waters, so if they were around

1) We'd have surely seen and photographed them, since tropical areas are typically popular spots and we spend some time observing whales, so surely we'd have at least seen a Meg around where whales are

2) There would be whale carcasses and fossils with bite marks dating back through the fossil record, injuries from Megalodon attacks in prey species cease around 4 Million years ago, when we assume it went extinct.

As far as we know they weren't deep sea animals either making them lurking deep down very unlikely, especially since there's not many whales deep, except Sperm Whales hunting Giant Squid. I guess the Meg could survive off giant squid but as far as we know they aren't common enough alone to sustain a Megalodon.

• MARK
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Megalodon has been extinct for ca. 3.6 million years.

• 3 weeks ago

They appear to be extinct, a victim of a climate change.  The adults were plenty robust, but the juveniles may have been warm-water inhabitants.  With a climate change, the potential warm-water nurseries may have changed location.  The adults then did not know where to go to give birth, and so (perhaps) breeding stopped.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.