Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 weeks ago

Why do some people think it's appropriate to randomly ask someone if they have a job?

One day when I was outside my home my neighbor suddenly asked me if I have a job. She didn't even say "Hi" first or say anything else.

That's odd of your neighbor to just ask that particular question without a greeting. Maybe she was trying to be friendly and just break the ice without doing the formal, stiff greetings first? I remember once I was looking in a store, and a shop assistant just asked me was I studying or working, without saying Hi. It sometimes happens.

Who knows. A good reply is "Why do you ask?"

She is rude, it's not her business and some people do work different shifts anyway.

Perhaps you being at home was a surprise for your neighbor, as they had no seen you at that time previously.  Remember, you are not obliged to answer the question.

Because it is unusual to see someone home in the middle of the day (when most people work).

maybe it was her way of starting a conversation