Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

Wasn't Judas right when he said this?

"Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor?". The perfume was worth a year's wages and it was being wasted to wash Jesus' feet. Jesus' response is that he would die soon but the poor will 'always be among you'. I know that the Bible says that Judas said it because he was a thief and wanted to steal the money but even then he was right that it was waste on such an expensive perfume. And the poor aren't immortal so idk what was Jesus thinking when he said that they'll always be among you

• Juli
    Favorite Answer

He obviously thought that his stinky feet were more important than the poor.

• Paul

Judas only said this so he could get his hands on the money.

There will always be poor people, as in different poor people, not immortal poor people.

John 12:4-6 — But Judas Iscariot, the disciple who would soon betray him, said, “That perfume was worth a year’s wages. It should have been sold and the money given to the poor.” >>>> Not that he cared for the poor—he was a thief, and since he was in charge of the disciples’ money, he often stole some for himself.<<<<

Judas thought that shouldve been his money. Greed and love of money was his downfall all along.

Jesus' reply...

John 12:7-8 — Jesus replied, “Leave her alone. She did this in preparation for my burial. You will always have the poor among you, but you will not always have me.”

He stated the truth of the matter 

He meant that there will always be poor people until we become Christian enough to minister to their needs.

Not all of the ointment was used on Jesus.  Only some of it. 

Judas was right about one thing -- it should have been sold and the proceeds give to the poor, not to him.

Judas was criticising the woman, but Jesus was looking at her heart. When you understand and receive personally how much Jesus loves you and values you, you can’t help but be extravagantly in love with Him. It was worship from the heart, and Jesus our Saviour who was about to lay down His life for her and for all of us was more than worthy of it.

LOL..they are among us right now, my friend.

A statement can be right or wrong. It's not a statement, though. It's a question. His question, as a question, can't be right or wrong because it is not stating something as fact but asking for a statement of fact, an answer to an unknown. 

What's more, it wasn't Jesus' to sell. Or Judas' to sell. It belonged to Mary. It wasn't up to Jesus or Judas but up to Mary what she did with it, and she apparently chose to not sell it but, in fact, had especially acquired it and was holding onto it for the required Judaic funerary washings and anointings of Jesus' body upon Jesus' death, which Jesus had prophesied would be soon and was soon (thanks in part to Judas), Mary choosing to use just a bit of what was hers to use as she saw fit to at that time salve Jesus' feet, presumably because they were dry and cracked from all the walking around Jesus did in the heat and sand and dust and gravel wearing at most sandals, making its use not a frivolity, a decadence, or a luxury. Sometimes, the things we use to provide care for those we love are expensive, and it being expensive doesn't make frivolous, decadent, or luxurious.

The extension of your logic is would be that Jesus would think it wrong of me to spend $300 of my own money at the pharmacy on a prescription ointment that I will use to treat my poor friend's feet. But that's not what Jesus taught. Jesus taught the opposite. Jesus taught that we are to feed the hungry, minister to the sick, take in strangers, etc., imploring us to, saying "even as ye have done it unto the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." So it would be hypocrisy for him to refuse a follower actually doing it unto him. 

The saying is meant to convey that Jesus was saying "I'm going to die soon, but there will ALWAYS be poor people so they don't need this ointment as much as I do".

My belief was that he was saying you don't have to give up everything to get everything. You can be charitable and still have enough for yourself.