Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 weeks ago

What's a rude reply to 'how you doing?'?

Something more rude than a simple 'good' or 'fine' but less rude than 'what do you care' or 'leave me alone'.

Basically I don't want this person to greet me or ask about me in the future but don't want to sound confrontational

Say something like, 

'well, I got out of bed, tripped over my cat, twisted my ankle.  Then, I walked outside to a flat tire, and no spare.  But hey, thanks for asking'.

• L

'How are you doing' is NOT rude at all.  You can either just ignore the person or just say 'fine' and move on.

just say fine, thank you and change the subject

As so often, WHAT you say is less important than HOW you say it.

Say, "Fine, thanks" in a flat tone, without making eye contact, and if you're moving at the time, keep moving. If you're sitting at your desk, just keep on working.

Why not simply tell this person you have no desire for them to ask about you.  Be assertive, not aggressive and ask that your wishes be respected.

• You could just say "so so" in a bored voice. The message will get through. Or you could go full Irish and reply honestly, listing all the ailments you have and why today is not going great - that should discourage the greeting becoming habitual. Or - and this will get them to avoid you for ever - reply with "let me tell you about the day I opened my heart to the Lord Jesus Christ..."

You don’t have to like everyone. But you should be able to treat everyone with respect. Of course if he is bullying you or making overtures at you then that is intolerable and should be documented and reported to the proper authority in detail and perhaps a restraining order should be sought. But if it is just that he is annoying but harmless and you don’t like him - I would treat him like a bill collector that you just have to tolerate. Hi and bi is fine. Just a cold smile. No warmth or empathy. No further details. Should he press you for details you can let him know that either you are keeping everything professional or that you are not friends. 

Just don't answer and they'll get the message eventually. 

i would just say okay and that way you dont have to tell them anything

"I don't know", would be like a brush off. Say this in a flat tone of voice.🙄🙄