How to obtain a death certificate?

I've unfortunately found out about a friends passing this year and am in the process of getting in touch with who I can. However this occurred a month prior to now and I'm having difficulties. In the pursuit of searching for even some kind of article or obituary notice on their passing I'm coming up short. Does anyone have any specific, fruitful links that will provide death certificates? Preferably a free website or one relatively inexpensive. 

Or perhaps some search engine that details persons and their relatives so maybe I can find their parents on Facebook?

I'm desperate.

Do not dare judge me for not having more information, you have no clue how life has plagued either of us, don't question my friendship.

I never once suggested I wanted to know the cause of death as I already do, my desire is more so to find their resting place.

Favorite Answer

In the USA only the next of kin (or an insurance carrier) can get a copy of the Death Certificate.

There are no such links in the USA.

Sometimes a licensed private detective with "sources" can obtain information from the death certificate.

Your 'best answer' is DEAD WRONG in most states. In fact, a death certificate is PUBLIC RECORD and can be obtained by anyone in most states.

Just die dumbass

Well based on Democrats and voting, they want to keep you on the ballot role, so if you want a certificate do not be a Democrat

The death certificate doesn't give a resting place. To help find that try the press local to wherever it happened. They may have published it.

Hey ace, a death certificate doesn't list the resting place.  The ONLY purpose other than for legal reasons like life insurance claims is to get the certificate is to see the official cause of death

Death certificates don't list resting places, at least not in the US. The post-mortem plans are a separate thing, assuming they're written down somewhere (my grandparents has detailed written wills specifying that Grandma be buried, and Grandpa be cremated and where his ashes would be scattered, while my dad had no written will, he told everyone where he wanted his ashes scattered and was firm in being cremated).

You'd have to ask your friend's next of kin, from the sound of it, unless their estate contacted you for whatever reason. Sounds like you'll have to ask around a bit.

• Eva

If you know where he lived, you can try Legacy.com.  You won't be able to access a death certificate as you have no legal need for it.  You can also try fastpeoplesearch.com

Contact your states' department of vital statistics.  The certificate available to the public does not offer the cause of death.

You can not get a copy

Family or lawyer only

• Ralph

You can't. You have to be a family member, legal guardian, or someone listed within the death certificate. Sorry, but that is the way it is.