An unbelievably rude woman treated me terribly at a coffee shop.?

I am completely enraged at this run-in I had with this woman. I wish I could’ve yelled in her stupid face and told her off, but anytime someone is rude to me I freeze up and just am unable to defend myself. Basically, I was at a coffee shop and I had forgotten a straw. This dumb woman didn’t understand you can just go up to grab a straw you don’t have to wait in the line. So I went up to grab a straw and as I was walking up there she had already been in line and she steps right in front of me, almost shoving me. At that point, I really didn’t want to get near this crazy rag, so I stood behind her. She ordered her food and then says to me in the most snarky tone ever “that is how lines work”. I am flabbergasted that I total stranger could speak to me so disgustingly when I only came up to the counter to get a straw from the straw dispenser. I wish there was a way to find her, but since there isn’t I’m really unsure of what to do. Anytime I think of this I can’t decide if I want to scream, throw things, or cry. I always try to be as nice as I possibly can to stranger and the fact that this woman did this infuriates me. Tell me why you should be a wanker for no good reason and ruin someone’s day. I just don’t know what to do. I am furious and upset and I just don’t know if there’s a way I can find her and yell in her stupid face. What should I do then?

• L

Really - snowflake?  How was she supposed to know you only needed a straw?????  Next time, just grab one and walk away.

if she works at the restaurant, go on website and put a complaint in, I do it all the time instead of getting into an yelling match with them. if it is a customer, just annoy her. let her look like a fool 

Given the impact this situation is having on your mental health, step back and observe your reaction to how you saw this woman's behavior.  Is it possible there is an underling anger, fear, confusion, concern about another aspect of your life?  Or possibly you are feeling the collective tension right now spanning across the globe.  While you can understandably be annoyed by what was said to you, your anger seems to have escalated and by your own admittance you want to scream and throw inanimate objects.  Consider this being reflective of other thoughts/feelings, which you are externalizing.

Listen, you have to come to terms with the fact that you made a simple mistake. You should have used the universal use of communication. A polite "please excuse me, I forgot to pick up a straw with my order". I do think she would have stepped aside for you to take a straw. She may have thought you were cutting in line.

For you to be so insensed over this and not realizing your mistake is the cause of your irate anger, all these hours later. 

I absolutely hate to say it, but you need to mature a bit more and exercise some social grace yourself.

You were idiotic to go and stand behind her. You should just have kept on walking, maybe holding your hand out to show you were about to pick something up.

When you tucked in behind her she - not surprisingly - assumed you HAD been about to jump the queue, and that she had just taught you a lesson. You should have kept walking, saying over your shoulder, I'm just getting a straw.

You need some perspective. People are on edge, life is tough, you don't know someone else's struggles. To get "completely enraged" at this shows some cracks in your own sanity. Get over it. 

not much you can do about it except pray you never see her again

• John P

You should calm down and just put it down to experience.

Certainly do not try to find her or you might end up doing something violent which you would regret.

Its a dog eat dog world out there. If you are going to let a little thing like this bother you so much, you don't stand a chance.  Blow it off.

Similar thing happened to me in a Starbucks (although it was an older male). All I did was walk out, calling him « asswipe » as I left. You most probably cannot do something at this late stage, but try to find the presence of mind to do what I did in a future situation!