Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 2 months ago

How to get to work station from military dorms? ?

I'm getting into the Air Force but do not own a drivers license. And I heard a lot of people don't either.

So I'm wondering, when I get to my dorms on base, will my working station or office be within walking distance? Or do they provide transportation on base? 

Thank you in advance 

After recruit training, 10 miles is walking distance.

Seriously, any base large enough to HAVE housing on base also has the equivalent of a public bus.

Note: If you make it trough basic, you WILL NOT refer to military housing as a dorm.

Some of the bigger bases like Nellis, Andrews, McCord and Travis have shuttles. Smaller bases don't But, if you are someplace like Minot where winter weather can be a real hazard even to walk across base, they will make sure you know how to get to get to your duty station safely.

The main focus of of the Air Force; USAF is to fulfill your duty first. Everything is as maybe a secondary wish that's not as important. You should know such already, but your posting like somebody who's got know clue.

Sorry Jack. Calling it like I see it? 

Not concerned about OPSEC due to the fact that what I know is years old. Do I know as much as you or..? 

Methinks that I'm saying to much?

It depends a LOT on where you are.  For two stations I was on, there was a bus from the barracks, and station out to the work site which was a fair ways away.  In others, I was on my own - to walk, cycle, or drive.  One station had no barracks at all, and, no bus either other than the city bus that did not correspond to the pers who worked shiftwork.

Walk, ride a bike, bum a ride from a coworker, get your license and buy a cheap car. 

Some bases have transportation on base And some don’t. All depends on the size of the base. Some bases have local bus lines come on base. 

you will walk or bum a ride with someone else.

generally there is no public transportation on a military base.

Guam was the only base I saw they provided transport, but only for certain jobs-- they had a bus that went from the barracks to the bomb dump and munitions squadron head quarters, since it was like 7 or 8 miles from the barracks

• Mrsjvb

There will be on base shuttles that may or may not be convenient.  Get a bicycle.  

A lot of bases have busses that run on a regular schedule and the Shoe Leather Express runs 24/7.

Don't they provide you with a personal jet you can use or something?

In the military, a significant amount of walking is done.