Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 2 months ago

How to get to work station from military dorms? ?

I'm getting into the Air Force but do not own a drivers license. And I heard a lot of people don't either.

So I'm wondering, when I get to my dorms on base, will my working station or office be within walking distance? Or do they provide transportation on base? 

Thank you in advance 

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

After recruit training, 10 miles is walking distance.

Seriously, any base large enough to HAVE housing on base also has the equivalent of a public bus.

Note: If you make it trough basic, you WILL NOT refer to military housing as a dorm.

• 2 months ago

Some of the bigger bases like Nellis, Andrews, McCord and Travis have shuttles. Smaller bases don't But, if you are someplace like Minot where winter weather can be a real hazard even to walk across base, they will make sure you know how to get to get to your duty station safely.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

The main focus of of the Air Force; USAF is to fulfill your duty first. Everything is as maybe a secondary wish that's not as important. You should know such already, but your posting like somebody who's got know clue.

Sorry Jack. Calling it like I see it? 

Not concerned about OPSEC due to the fact that what I know is years old. Do I know as much as you or..? 

Methinks that I'm saying to much?

• 2 months ago

It depends a LOT on where you are.  For two stations I was on, there was a bus from the barracks, and station out to the work site which was a fair ways away.  In others, I was on my own - to walk, cycle, or drive.  One station had no barracks at all, and, no bus either other than the city bus that did not correspond to the pers who worked shiftwork.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Walk, ride a bike, bum a ride from a coworker, get your license and buy a cheap car. 

Some bases have transportation on base And some don’t. All depends on the size of the base. Some bases have local bus lines come on base. 

• 2 months ago

you will walk or bum a ride with someone else.

generally there is no public transportation on a military base.

Guam was the only base I saw they provided transport, but only for certain jobs-- they had a bus that went from the barracks to the bomb dump and munitions squadron head quarters, since it was like 7 or 8 miles from the barracks

• Mrsjvb
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

There will be on base shuttles that may or may not be convenient.  Get a bicycle.  

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

A lot of bases have busses that run on a regular schedule and the Shoe Leather Express runs 24/7.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Don't they provide you with a personal jet you can use or something?

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

In the military, a significant amount of walking is done.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.