Alexis asked in HealthMental Health · 4 weeks ago

Is it depression or just my period?

For the past 2-3 weeks to a month I’ve been feeling really emotionally.. uncomfortable to say the least, empty even, and if I’m not empty I’m sad. I feel kind of hopeless about life even though I’m only 16 and I’ve lost interest in music (which was a huge passion of mine before), I’ve stopped playing the violin, guitar and I’ve stopped songwriting because it just frustrates me now. I’ve been crying a lot recently, I just feel like sh*t inside, and I feel like I’m going to go nowhere in life. I just wish I could disappear into thin air, or go into a coma maybe, that’d probably be nice. At the same time though I feel like I’m faking these feelings, I feel like subconsciously I want the label of depression to excuse the fact that I’m just a lazy*ss who sits in her room all day and never makes plans to go see friends. But the thing is I’ve always been a pretty lazy person, so maybe that’s just who I am. I feel guilty when I’m happy or laughing because it makes me feel like there’s nothing actually wrong with me. Maybe it wasn’t a good idea to tell me parents I want to get help because what if it’s just PMS or my period making me feel this way? Maybe I’m actually fine but in a way I don’t want to be fine, in some weird way I like being sad.

You need to understand that your period has NOTHING to do with this mood you are in.  We all have periods but we do not isolate ourselves as you have and we don't have these feelings of emptiness and withdrawal from the things we love to do.

What you describe is certainly clinical depression and not your natural period.  If these feelings were caused by our periods we would all have lengths of time (weeks) when we were unproductive and withdrawn.

Ask your parents to make an appointment to see your regular family doctor or pediatrician for an office visit and a check up.  Talk to your doctor about this.

• Darla

I think it is both. Depression can be around certain times of the month or year.