Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Is it fraud if you use somebody else’s food stamp card with their permission?

My friend owed me $40 but he didn’t have cash so instead he gave me his food stamp card that had a remaining balance of like $96 on it. I tried to use it at 7/11 the other day and the idiot indian cashier was being a jerk off and wanted to play detective, making a whole scene about it and said he would call the police if I don’t leave the store . I told him that’s exactly why he’s going to be doing this job for the rest of his life. I’ve used it in other stores without a problem. Is it really that bad?? Will I go to jail for this???

its illegal, yes, you could go to jail.

Are you serious?  You can't be that ignorant of the law.

That Indian cashier has more morals then you and whatever race your *** is. 

Yes, it is illegal.  

Both of you can be prosecuted for welfare fraud.

• xyzzy

It is fraud and if someone does call the police you could be charged and if found guilty fined or incarnated.

Yes that is fraud to let someone else use your food stamp card.

Tho I question how the cashier had any reason to suspect it..  The food stamps go on a card that is similar to a debit card, and you use a PIN...   You slide the card and enter the number when prompted.   The cashier knows you are using an EBT card, but wouldnt see the name on the card..

It’s possible you might get questioned about it if the cashier goes hard enough to call the police on you. But you probably won’t go to jail as long as your friend co-signs the story. Just be careful. Those old minimum wage workers typically have nothing better to do with their lives

Yep.

The benefits are paid for by taxpayers, and the qualification to get them are such that ONLY the benefit holder is entitled to them.

Of COURSE it's fraud. And, you should find out if you can go to jail for it BEFORE you break the law.