Kat asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 4 weeks ago

Do you think it's sexist for a woman to assume the man is paying the bill for a first date?

Yes or no and why? 

Thanks 😇

Favorite Answer

No, I don't think it's sexist. Just presumptuous.

• Elana

I do.  Moreover, since you are assigning the role to one gender over the other, it seems obvious to me why it is sexist.

No, I don't find the fact that women have babies "sexist", per se, as it is a matter of biology.  No, I don't believe who pays is a matter of biology.

Sure, there may be some biology behind it, but it is so easy to override biology here, that the assumption is ludicrous.

It's just dumb because it telegraphs that she's up for sex that night. This often leads to some very uncomfortable (and sometimes violent) end of date interactions. 

Yes I do, because it is.

I don’t care if I really like the woman I don’t think about whoever gonna pay for the first date.

Yes, but such sexism is common.  Men are seen as providers for women.   

i like robins answer.

however the contract between men and women is changing so truly who knows

tmm

Yes. I say this as a woman, I would rather split the bill. A) I don't want to feel like I owe you something for paying. B) I can leave once my half is payed. C) Especially(but not only) if something is expensive, it's just the right thing to do.

• Bill

Nope. A man's role is to provide for his woman and paying for the date is just a representation of this. 

@Poker: I didn't speak towards the motivation of the behavior. Men do these kind of behaviors because they are naturally compelled towards them and feel an emotional reward when they do them. 

• Murzy

no                                     .

Yes it's sexist and old fashioned to assume that anyone will pay for all the meal and drinks.  If your polite you should offer to pay or if your virtual strangers, split the bill, like you'd do with a friend.