Kat asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 4 weeks ago

Do you think it's sexist for a woman to assume the man is paying the bill for a first date?

Yes or no and why? 

Thanks 😇

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

No, I don't think it's sexist. Just presumptuous.

• Elana
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

I do.  Moreover, since you are assigning the role to one gender over the other, it seems obvious to me why it is sexist.

No, I don't find the fact that women have babies "sexist", per se, as it is a matter of biology.  No, I don't believe who pays is a matter of biology.

Sure, there may be some biology behind it, but it is so easy to override biology here, that the assumption is ludicrous.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

It's just dumb because it telegraphs that she's up for sex that night. This often leads to some very uncomfortable (and sometimes violent) end of date interactions. 

• 4 weeks ago

Yes I do, because it is.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

I don’t care if I really like the woman I don’t think about whoever gonna pay for the first date.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Yes, but such sexism is common.  Men are seen as providers for women.   

• 4 weeks ago

i like robins answer.

however the contract between men and women is changing so truly who knows

tmm

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Yes. I say this as a woman, I would rather split the bill. A) I don't want to feel like I owe you something for paying. B) I can leave once my half is payed. C) Especially(but not only) if something is expensive, it's just the right thing to do.

• Bill
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Nope. A man's role is to provide for his woman and paying for the date is just a representation of this. 

@Poker: I didn't speak towards the motivation of the behavior. Men do these kind of behaviors because they are naturally compelled towards them and feel an emotional reward when they do them. 

• Murzy
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

no                                     .

• 4 weeks ago

Yes it's sexist and old fashioned to assume that anyone will pay for all the meal and drinks.  If your polite you should offer to pay or if your virtual strangers, split the bill, like you'd do with a friend.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.