Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceFinancial Aid · 2 months ago

If I withdraw from college do I have to pay back my pell grant?

I'm currently having a very difficult time with my classes. I don't really want to get too deep into it, but it's been extremely mentally draining on me. I have an anxiety disorder and it only seems to be making things worse. 

I receive financial aid through a pell grant that pays for my tuition and books. I think overall it was something like $2000+ for full time & 4 textbooks/materials. I also recently received a reimbursement of $900 for the rest of the aid. 

There was a mix up at the school's bookstore & it took them 2.5 weeks to send me my books. So all that time I should've been working on assignments, I was waiting for my books to come. Yes, there were "free trail" offers, but 2 of them expired at the end of the first week of classes. I didn't know they were going to expire. 

So now I'm essentially 3 weeks behind on my online classes. I don't see myself catching up anytime soon and 5 of my assignments are already late.

My question is if I withdraw from classes (it's past drop day now) how would I calculate how much money I owe for my pell grant? I know there's gotta be a way to do it. I really just wanna see how much damage it would be. 

Please don't attack my decision. I am not mentally stable enough to remain in class. It's gotten to the point I have suicidal thoughts. Thank you. 

Yes AND you have to pay for that fancy new bookstore they just built on campus.

Source(s): In its entirety and consider yourself lucky that you were even able to afford to buy books. Some of us didn't have that luxury.
  • Willie

I will waive your loan, but don't come back to the USA.

Schools must adhere to a "return of funds" policy (in addition to the institutional policy) when dealing with Federal grants (and loans).  Basically, if you have completed at least 60% of the period for which you received a Pell Grant payment, there would be no grant money owed back to the Pell Grant program.  If you have completed LESS than that, the amount of Pell Grant considered "unearned" is proportional to the amount of attendance time..  That being said, IF your refund is LESS than 50% of the total grant disbursed on your behalf, you would not be asked to repay anything from your Pell Grant refund.  (if the school disbursed $2900 and refunded $900, that is less than 50%, so you could keep the $900)  If all you had in aid was Pell Grant (no loans), the school would return the amount of aid not earned to the Pell Grant program - if that results in a balance owed to the school, the school will bill you.

• MS

Yes, you will have to pay back a portion of your Pell Grant if you withdraw.  You should visit the Financial Aid office at your school to find out the details.  You should also get in touch with your instructors to see if they can work with you to catch up. 

you should see if the school as a counseling service ... both for psychology and academics

Grants by definition are not repaid