Is it safe to use the bottom of my 12” Cuisineart stainless steel pan as a surface to cook crepes?

I have seen video of people doing that. 

I would scrub the bottom of the pan, you want it as smooth as possible. 

From what I have seen you heat the bottom of the pan, dip it in the batter and lift, let drip a bit and what sticks is pretty much baked.  Might take a minute or more to finish it. You might have to turn the heat up a bit more than you would if you were cooking them IN the pan because you have a large space between the burner and the pan when you finish cooking them

• IvaB

Certainly you can,just make sure that you apply more fat/ butter as needed to avoid sticking.A non stick pan (plus fat) is often used to help avoid sticking as well.P.S. I was looking around the forum,and realized that you mean the underside of the pan! My bad,but I don't understand why you would do such a thing ? Thats strange imo. Why not just use the pan in the normal way? I would not recommend doing that ever. 

• kswck2

I wouldn't. Only because of the dirt and other impurities that can 'bake on' the bottom from heating and cooling over time. 

When you clean a pot or pan, you generally don't scrub the bottom as well as the inside. 

That’s about as long as my you-know-what

If you do, I'd turn it over and cook on the bottom surface. Otherwise, you will have problems lifting and turning the crepes. I have a wonderful gadget I bought in a thrift store that you dip in crepe batter (in a pie pan) and the heat cooks the batter on to the pan. When it's done, you can lift it off and turn it over to cook the other side. It was made by Nordic Ware. You can buy a similar one at Amazon for $30.00.

Certainly. Why wouldn't it be?