Where do you learn How to cook?

I always watch my mom when she cooks.

I read cook books to gain the general knowledge on how to prepare and learn cooking times.

I followed a few recipes, then began making my own changes.

Through trial and error, I began creating my own recipes with variations.

I call myself a refrigerator/pantry chef. Because as long as I have the meat, poultry or fish, I know I can create a number of dishes, simply with what I have on hand in my pantry or fridge.

For instance, last night I put an Asian flair on my chicken dish. I sautéed the chicken with garlic after slathering it with Wasabi mustard and a coating of sesame seeds, finishing up with ginger and pineapple chunks. My rice was made with the liquid in the pineapple can along with fresh cilantro and lemon oil instead of butter. The steamed broccoli was served with a dressing of lemon oil and soy sauce. All unplanned until the moment I began cooking. Also, I measure nothing other than the rice to liquid ratio.

I haven't learned how to cook!

Age 12 baking cakes and helping with cooking with mu mom by age 17 cooking for myself while living at home and being in H.S cause I wanted to do it 

Live alone. After a decade or so, you will start to prefer working out how to improve your cooking, rather than eating something that tastes like dog food.

Buy "The Joy of Cooking", any recent edition, and read it, cover to cover. It has recipes to illustrate the chapters but it's not a recipe book. It's a "here's how to cook" book.

What onions are, which potato for what, how to cut up a chicken, which pot to use for what, which are winter squash and which are summer, all about herbs and spices.

It is a book that was written to teach people the fundamentals of how to cook, just as you ask. It is over 100 years old on it's 50th edition or something.

Available everywhere good books are sold. You just can't get a better start all in one place.

• kswck2

Mom couldn't cook to save her life (still can't). Dad's idea of 'cooking' was either grilling or making bread. So I had to learn how to cook when I finally moved out-takeout got too expensive fast. 

But I learned more scientifically than just 'throw some of that in and see how it tastes'. I studied cuts of meat and applications, herbs and spice and how they were used, food pairing, etc. (Never really got the hang of pairing wines with food, since i only cook with it-not drink it). 

And I finally went to culinary school-albeit it a bush league one, but more for the degree and an ego padding, rather than actually Learning anything-since I was a far better cook than all the kids in my class. 

At my mother's knee. I was on the floor churning butter before I went to school. Along about 9 or 10, I was killing chickens and cutting them up to fry (I didn't dunk them in boiling water to loosen the feathers, that was considered too dangerous). That went on until I was 13 when I began working in the fields or driving a truck (I had a license). That was many years ago, but I still enjoy cooking. I collect cookbooks and read online recipes, and turn out two or three meals a week. I'll be 82 on Saturday. We're eating out.

Cooking classes or for me, I use cookbooks. Many learn basics or more from their mother if they're lucky enough to have a parent who enjoys cooking. Or you could use YouTube videos. 

There are basic building blocks that every amateur home chef should know. Learn how to cook with these essential beginner cooking skills.