Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 month ago

Is it true tattoos were once associated with criminals, prostitutes, and sailors?

In Europe and north America, not particularly elsewhere. 

• JOHN B

They were associated with Mayans, Aztecs and Ubangi.

In Europe and north America,  not particularly elsewhere. 

of course. but by who? who are you claiming?

fiction novelettes associate that frequently but so what?

its fiction not real.

• garry

bit backwards are you . tattoo are fashionable , been that way for 30 years , talk about a backward comment .

• 1465

In a word, yes.

But Tattoos date back a couple of thousand years BCE. One of the earliest peoples to wear them were headhunters. They were used as a way to represent how many victims they killed, as well as to initiate young men into adulthood.

Tattoos were also found on ancient mummies that also date BCE.

I don't normally give Jerome a thumbs-up because he's often out in left field with his answers, but Tina doesn't seem to understand how tattoos are created (she must have been asleep when she got hers). They're made by puncturing the skin with a pointed tool of some kind.

It's usually done with ink, but any fluidic substance can be used - including blood. Hence, "rolling in blood" is utter nonsense. 🤣

At different times and in different societies tattoos have been acceptable or unacceptable.  At times in western society they were almost exclusively associated with the underclass.  Sailors were one class which regularly had tattoos.  Criminals and prostitutes might be others who had them.  But in much of the 19th and 20h centuries you wouldn't find, for example, your local pharmacist or a school teacher, or a minister, with tattoos. 

When I was a kid in the 60's no woman, and I mean NO woman had a tattoo.  At least I never saw one.  Now it's pretty common.  Sailors I guess did, however I don't remember seeing any sailors except Popeye and I do believe he had a tattoo.  Prostitutes, I guess those would be just about the only women who had a tattoo.

• Dze

that and primitive people with feathers in their hair and bones in their nose .. tatoos are 'not' an advancement in society lol ..