Should it be considered proper to tip a cashier or bagger at a big city supermarket ?

We do painfully exhausting work, because it gets insanely busy and a lot of us don't live at home and have very high rent to pay, we work way harder than any waiter, coffee barista, valet parking attendant, lines literally go way down the aisle and out the door on a sunday, but get paid minimum wage with no tips.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

No, not appropriate or necessary.  You are getting paid to do your job.  If you want to earn more than minimum wage, find a job that requires more than minimum level skills/education.

• No. You are being paid a property hourly wage. Your job is to bag groceries or ring them up. And you are paid for that work. It's not like you're doing extra work.  

• 1 month ago

imo ... No tipping. Some customers would complain, and other customers would think the bigger tippers get better service. #3 - Some shoppers cannot afford to tip. If you want to earn tips, deliver and carry in an online shopper's groceries. 

• 1 month ago

What people get paid and how their tips factor into that varies by state.  In many states, tips only take them up to a minimum wage.  They don't go above minimum wage unless the tips add up to more.  

And, no, you have an easy job just like all the other ones you listed.  If you think they are making more money than you, then you're free to go get those jobs as well.  Tips are highly overused and a way for businesses to artificially keep their prices and wages lower.  Tips are for excellent service and not a handout/entitlement like they've become. 

PS:  99% of baggers are horrible at what they do.  I don't need 25 bags for 26 items.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

It used to be, but that went by the wayside back in the 1980s. Sorry.  You make standard minimum wage,  not the tipped wages of $2.29 an hour like restaurant workers do. 

Get used to what actual work IS in your field of employment.  

Waiters work hard and even if they want to work an 8 hour day, shifts in that field run 4 to maybe 6 hours at most, they don't have an opportunity to work longer. 

• 1 month ago

Nothing you say differentiates you from any other minimum wage worker. Sorry.

Warehouse workers often make minimum wage, and they are on their feet doing heavy lifting all day long.

The few workers who do make tips, earn a much lower minimum wage than you.

I am sure you can find a job as a waiter or a busboy in a diner or something. Or as a stockroom worker.

My daughter worked as a waitress in high school, and as a cashier when she was in college. She told me that the work as a waitress was much harder than in the supermarket.

YMMV

• Rick B
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You get paid minimum wage.  Most waiters get $2.12 an hour plus tips.

If you feel your job is too difficult and does not pay well, then find a better job.  Get an education or learn a trade that pays well.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.