Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsOther - Diseases · 1 month ago

lack of food and asthma ?

i haven’t eaten much or drank much water in the past four days, probably just enough food for a single meal. my asthma has been acting up a lot and for the past couple days i’ve been nonstop wheezing and running out of breath. my chest is tight too. do dehydration and lack of food worsen asthma symptoms? what can i do to stop it? (i can’t really eat, i’ve kinda developed an ed)

2 Answers

Relevance
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Because every function in the body is tied to water when you maintain a water shortage the brain tries to conserve water.

The lungs are around 90% water and are the largest source of water loss. Through respiration, you expel a great deal of water vapor.

To conserve water for the body's many other needs, the brain reduces the amount of water going to the lungs which increases the difficulty in breathing.

Mucus that forms is designed to prevent the lungs from drying out completely - it holds moisture in the lungs through the period of dehydration.

Asthma can be treated successfully by increasing the water intake. In addition, you should use more salt. Contrary to the claimed of it causing high blood pressure, it doesn't.

Salt has a myriad of functions in the body. Two of which is to hold water in the body and break up mucus and congestion so it can be expelled.

Try this the next time you feel an asthma attack coming on - drink a glass of water followed by a pinch of salt on your tongue. Doing this should offer a noticeable difference in your ability to breathe.

Drinking at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water per day and using more salt (1/8 tsp per 16 oz of water) should provide a substantial improvement.

• 1 month ago

Not drinking can kill you in a few days.

Drink more water.

And see a doctor regarding your uncontrolled asthma and your eatin disorder, both of which can also kill you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.