Ryan asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 1 month ago

What kind of spider is this? I live in BC Canada?

I think L.N. is spot on. this time of year they are full grown and easy to spot often staying out in their web during the day.

About as harmless as spiders come and very beneficial in your yard.

While they are capable of biting, they dont,,like most spiders, and any bite no worse than a mild bee sting.

Children take to them, usually naming them 'Charlotte'.

They rather be left alone, but kids will be kids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OraClk3gUO0

Youtube thumbnail

• L.N.

Araneus diadematus, the Cross orb weaver. It is a European garden spider that has become established just about everywhere around the world. They like to live around people and are commonly found where outdoor lighting attracts bugs at night. About as harmless as they come, there are no orb weavers that pose any risk to people. They do not bite without provocation and the venom is mild.

Yes,  a type of Orb weaver. Likely an Araneus trifolium

(Shamrock Orb-weaver) or other Araneus  species. 

• Jim

Not sure, but I get around the house every year around this time. I was told they're harmless, but hopefully, someone knowledgeable will let us both know.

• Dv8s

Appears to be an orb weaver spider.   "Orb weavers are very docile, non-aggressive spiders that will flee at the first sign of a threat (typically they will run or drop off the web). They are not dangerous to people & pets, and are actually quite beneficial because they will catch and eat a lot of pest-type insects."