Is it sad to listen to your childhood music all your life?

Such as Beatles, Van Halen, Pearl Jam, Blink 182, etc as the generations go on. The scene being the currently 50 year old guy at work blasting "might as well jump, JUMP!" every single day.

Nothing wrong with it.  A lot of what people consider 'good music' is music that they formed an emotional response to when they were at the age that they were starting to come into their individuality.

While I think that everyone should be open to listening to new and/or different music -  the fact is, there is a large amount of stuff out there to sift through, and I understand someone not wanting to waste their time listening to stuff they may or may not like.

Personally, I can generally tell within a few seconds whether I'm going to like something or not.  There are cases where I don't pick on something the first time around, and come back to it later. 

Sometimes I have to be in the right frame of mind to be open to it (this can even apply to newer stuff by older bands), although some bands/styles are less accessible - and require me to find an 'in' (like a specific song/album that makes me understand what it is that they are trying to do before going through the rest of their catalogue).

No. I still enjoy listening to the music my parents exposed me to growing up. The Eagles, Bon Jovi, Van Halen, Elton John, Black Sabbith, Aerosmith, Manfred Mann’s Earth Band, Journey, Guns N’ Roses, AC/DC, Good Charlotte, Trapt, Def Leppard, Billy Joel, Pat Benatar, ABBA, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Tom Petty, The Cars, 38 Special, Led Zepplin, Ozzy Osborne, The Who, The Guess Who, Steve Miller Band, Collective Soul, Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, Queen, etc. I will never grow tired of any of those bands.

No, it's sad what passes as music today. I love listening to the music I grew up with and I'm 63.

Definitely not, and those are good bands! And you just reminded me of a song to listen to next... :)

Sorry, I'm just not lame enough to sit around stressing over what music complete strangers do or don't like to listen to. THAT'S a sad existence.

• dman63

Not at all.  I still listen to a lot of the bands I enjoyed when I was in my teens (I’m 57) but I like to check out new music as well.  Internet stations are great for finding lesser known bands and deep cuts from bands I know.  

Music is eternal. Everyone should listen to what they like.

100% sad as F*ck and I'm Guilty of this and fast approaching 50 and the Partys Over.

Thanks for reminding me but there is nothing wrong with putting on your old tunes and being transported to a time and place special to oneself.

For me Childhood ends when you have your 1st drink,kiss and smoke so pre-teen and pre-teen to me was Brothers Pink Floyd, Sisters Reggae, Mums Nat King Cole and Dads Roy Orbison collection.(I'm 3rd of 4)

While I had the Banana Splits, Pinky and Perky and The Muppet Show Album(No Gag)

Beats me, born in the 50's I'm too busy keepin' up with todays great music that none of you can find!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2doyjZDmF4Q

Youtube thumbnail

• No, I  had a very happy childhood and listening to music from the 70's like ABBA, Queen, David Bowie, Led Zeppelin, Kate Bush and Wings brings back nothing but great memories.  I'm 50+ and am at work right now listening to The Rolling Stones and it's getting me through my day.