Have Americans been brainwashed ?

You believe in this pathetic lie of hard-work = success.

That was an anomaly in the 1950's and 60's; and isn't

applicable in today's world. I believe we are moving

towards a world without money. You can already see

this emerging paradigm in the rapidly developing fields

of 3D printing and nanotechnology. Prototypes for

star-trek replicators have already been invented. 100

years from now, I hope people look back and view the

40 hour work/week as slave-labor.

Your thoughts? 

Success in life does not always have to involve money.  It sounds like you don't like to work  you know even if we have all the technologies of Star Trek people will still have to work, you will not get anything unless you work for it.  Are you lazy?

SADLY all of mankind has been deceived .

My thoughts are that the whole world is conditioned into believing this idea, but no, we aren't moving towards a world without money but one in which jobs have just become busy work to stop your average wage slave from thinking for herself and rebelling against the social order.

your premises is not complete

if all these labor saving devices are coming then there will be no need for masses of unskilled people... Thus birth control is required of those who most often have the most children also are the most poor. BUT poor people often feel if they have lots of children one will get rich and take care of them 

you seems to fail to understand what success means 

1. big problem... if you do not work hard you are doomed to suffer no matter what

2. just because you work hard does not mean you get rich and that seems to be a number one big misconception of most people.. that you can get rich with hard work. No one ever said that was the formula 

--- you can work at common jobs save invest and live careful and have good life  

but if you slack off you are assured a terrible life

----------------

50 years ago it took 150 unskilled people to pick a field of potatoes or onions 

now with the field equipment (not really star trek high tech) it takes about 25 people to do the same thing better.  the fact is the need for the masses of UN-trainable people is lowering everyday .. we need less of them all the time,  125 people have no job because of technology  

and yes there is the equipment repair man,, ok two jobs verse 123 no jobs 

the other myth is everyone needs a college education,, this myth is based on GREED for more and more tax payer money for colleges and teachers salaries ,, yet they are not teaching skills; but teach crap like ethnic studies and woman's studies and art and other useless classes that will not get you a job 

You need to realize getting RICH is not the goal never was and most of  those who feel they are successful never made huge salaries no had inherited money, we were hard working YES and CAREFUL with that money we earned and not reckless 

but all the lies you get rich or sell drugs on the street is the problems

get a job -- a common job learn a skill on the job, do not buy stupid things and save your money -- learn to be happy not look for excuses to blame everyone else for your unhappy choices 

• Ann

Only liberal Democrats.

Everyone I know who is successful, including myself, has worked hard for that success and to maintain that success. I would only point out that it is not just hard work but hard work that brings in the money to become successful. Working hard at flipping burgers in not going to make you successful, learning the fast food restaurant business while working there with the goal of owning your own restaurant is how you gain success.

In the 1950s and 1960s, we were the beneficiaries of being the wealthiest country after WWII which did not have its infrastructure destroyed. That gave us advantages no one else in the world enjoyed so it appeared that the more we produced, the more successful we became--no serious competitors. A little hard work, etc....When Andrew Yang was running for President, he brought out a number of modern day concerns which were essentially laughed off: self-driving vehicles displacing truck drivers, the need for carbon capture technology to address added CO2 in the atmosphere, how UBI could be a buffer against a changing economy where many jobs are automated away--including many white collar jobs such as accounting and certain legal work which Artificial Intelligence (AI) could handle, etc. 

Part of the issue is that we are going to find that AI and automation will quickly prove that automation can do just about everything that humans can do faster, cheaper and better. And, they don't get sick, take vacations, complain, have kids who get sick at school and have to be picked up, etc. So, if machines end up doing so much, what do the humans do? The Center for Social and Economic Justice suggests we create capital accounts for everyone and that under protective guidelines, allow people to put their "capital" into investment vehicles part of which might include creating employee owned companies, worker cooperatives, local economic development entities, and with Yang's UBI, put money back into a local economy (I added Yang's idea myself). That puts humans in control (democratically) with where capital is directed and the return on investment filters through the capital investments as the return on (human) labor diminishes. 

A side benefit of having capital wealth broadly-based in the economy, we get away from the role of owner/worker, manager/employee as those become blended. That is not to say that the new worker-owners might not hire professional managers for large organizations, but they will be experts (consultants) hired by the employees, not the other way around. No more wage-slavery as we have known it. 

Well, I grew up thinking you had to pick one thing and get really good at that one thing, do it for the rest of your life. I also thought as long as you work hard, there isn't anything you can't do. Then I grew up and dropped out of college because I couldn't get a co-signer for my loans and didn't have enough money for school. I just thought I'll start working, save up, and go back. Just holding a fulltime job drains all my energy. As a grown-up, I learned that American reality is actually a rat-race even for people who graduated from college. Everyone is drained and unfulfilled.

• Phil M

Money or no money, work still needs to get done. If no one gets paid for their work, what will be the workers motivation?

Sounds good to me. Personally want to enjoy my life and not have to do pointless labor that doesn't move towards an end goal. It's the same meaningless task day in and day out. Don't get me wrong productivity feels great but walking on eggshells around a company that'd happily replace you in a heartbeat is for the birds.