Why is it so hard to find the right job that's not too stressful?

I'm an accountant and all I want in a job is well organized company that has good management, pays well, and doesn't require me to work such long hours. But I have yet to find that. My first job, I had a decent boss with good hours, but the company was a bit disorganized and I got paid very poorly. My second job paid much better, but had long hours and my boss was very abusive. And now my third and current job, my boss is very nice but the hours are long and the company is very badly organized. The fact that I'm running into these problems is causing major stress in my life. I'm a young guy that's not even married with kids yet, but every job I get is causing major stress for me and I foresee myself getting a heart attack before I reach the age of 40.

Why is it so hard to find the right job that will minimize the stress level for me?

• Judy
    Favorite Answer

Sounds like what you need to do is learn to deal with stress better, and manage your expectations.

• L

Accounting is ALWAYS stressful.  And, you'll NEVER find the 'right job' with the 'right boss'.

• n2mama

Funny how the companies that pay more expect more from you for that pay, isn’t it?  Sorry if that sounded snotty, but my experience is that to get to what you are talking about, a well paid position with not long working hours, is something that you get after putting in your time at the lower paid, long hour positions. Then you get to move into higher level positions where you are being paid for your knowledge and expertise rather than your output. 

You consider two of the companies your have worked for as “disorganized”, whatever that means. If 2/3 of the companies you have worked for you feel that way about, maybe your expectations are skewed. It also sounds like perhaps you aren’t doing appropriate due diligence se companies before accepting positions there. Maybe you need to consider a different type of work. Not that you should stop working in accounting, but that’s a very broad field and maybe there’s a different type of position that would suit you better.

• Ajay D

accept either happiness with low salary or unhappiness with high salary

No job is perfect 

Become a librarian.

• Tavy

Set up on your own.

Most jobs  are  stressful.  The only one  job  that wasn't stressful for me  as I used to work as a Security Guard.  It was a  boring job.

You've had just three jobs. I think you are over reacting. It's not like you've spent years searching for that perfect job if it even exists. If you are so worried about your mental health talking about having a heart attack isn't helping either. Maybe you should be looking for employer number 4 already!