Crack on break pad?

This on one of our low mile vehicles, 2018 Dodge Journey, just had shop replace the break pads 8k miles ago and turned rotors. I’ve been feeling and hearing something for awhile now when I stop, almost like a gear bicycle changing gears, sounds like a clicking noise and is felt in brake petal. Found this after looking from outside

Today. Is this the shops fault? We don’t do hard stops, and drive mostly highway when we take the Journey out. 

13 Answers

Relevance
  • fuzzy
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

That slot is there as a collection point for pad dust. not your problem. If you had a shop install the pads the ntake it back & get them to find & fix it.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

BRAKE PAD  dumbass. BRAKE PAD. Fail.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

As brakes heat up, they expand a bit.  That is an expansion joint.  Look at sidewalks.  Those also heat up so the concrete has expansion joints in it to prevent the top from buckling...& breaking apart.

. Maybe let them hear your "noise". It might be something or is nothing.

• 1 month ago

Hi

corey

cracked not good for vehicles

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Turned rotors? nobody turns rotors anymore it generally costs more in labor time ($ per hour) than replacing them. As for the cracked pad I'm thinking cheap pad, like dirt cheap. The clicking sound could be from the anti-rattle clips not being installed, and as you stop the pad encounters a harder or slightly warped spot on the rotor and rattles (clicks) back and forth in the caliper. All cars have anti-rattle clips but often times bargain pads will not fit without filing them some, so the easy way is to throw the clips away and bam Bobs your uncle. I can pretty much assure you that with new rotors, Ceramic pads and hardware clips your problem will be gone.

• F
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Is the “break pad”, a large  cushion you keep in the back for rests?

• 1 month ago

Some brake pads are made with a slot across them like that, but that does not create the noise you describe. Rotate the axle back and forth to see if the friction material came off the brake. I would pry the brake piston back enough to see if the pad's "meat" has come loose from backing plate. I would also make sure the caliper bolts are as tight as they should be so it doesn't dance around, and look to see that the anti-rattle clips are installed properly. Don't ignore the wheel bearing and CV joint. Examine those. They certainly should be faultless at 2 years old , but there's always a chance there was a bad batch made one day.

• Darla
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Cars need maintenance. Replace the part. Move on with life. 

• 1 month ago

No, it's not the shops fault that you're an effn idiot.  

Source(s): Stop trolling.
  • 1 month ago

Here is a quick pic  of it 

Attachment image
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.